Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Redington Dually 8116 Rod, Echo TR 4120 Rod, Redington Grande 7/8/9 Reel, Lamson ARX 3.5 Reel
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently picked up a Trout Spey Setup and I'm a little confused as to which tips/polyleaders I need to get. My understanding is that for Skagit heads I should be looking at light tips such as the Mow/iMow light tips or the 80/96 grain OPST tips. I also understand that these are going to be too heavy for a Scandi head so I'm going to have to get a few Polyleaders. On the Polyleader front should I stick to the 10 ft trout specific polyleaders or can I go with the 10ft salmon/steelhead polyleaders that have a stronger core? As a side note...I already had a set of 5ft Trout Polyleaders but unfortunately I think they are too short as I kept blowing my anchor when I tried them on the SA Spey Lite Scandi head I have. My rod is the Echo TR 4120 so it is 12 ft in length and i'm trying to get close to or within the 2.5/1 head/tip length to rod length ratio. Any tips (no pun intended) or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a similar length 41111 and find that with a Spey Lite it pairs well with a 11’ polyleader + tippet.
On the same head you can also just build a 18’ mono leader and that works great too. As for Skagit I pair my Commando head and Skagit Scout with 8’ of T8. I have found all these combos work well.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The system that I love for trout spey is the Rio Scandi Short Versitip system: RIO Scandi Short VersiTip I prefer the tips to Polyleaders. They cast well and turn over larger flies than the polyleaders will. The tips are density compensated as well. I actually go up a size in the line as that makes it more like a very delicate Skagit(esque) style line. Of course, the matching size for your rod will work great as well and be a more true scandi. I just like the extra oomph I get on the cast with a size up 😜

·
Registered
Meiser, hardy, burkheimer, Canada fishing reels
90 Posts
rio also makes a light scandi versileader. this would be perfect for trout spey scandi setup. they are 10ft at 35grains and come in float, int, 3ips and 5ips great little sinking leaders absolutely love them on a light scandi setup. i believe mark bachmann has a video on the flyfishusa youtube channel

·
Registered
Meiser, hardy, burkheimer, Canada fishing reels
90 Posts
otherwise scientific anglers sonar leaders (polyleaders) are 10ft and only 50 grains. these would also work well for trout spey scandi

·
Registered
Redington Dually 8116 Rod, Echo TR 4120 Rod, Redington Grande 7/8/9 Reel, Lamson ARX 3.5 Reel
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Are the Airflo Salmon/Steelhead Polyleaders any good on a Scandi head? I see that their grain weights a very light for the floating up to the slow sink (26gr-30gr) and increase as you get to the heavier fast, extra fast polys ( up to 76gr). I'm assuming that given how light they are that they wouldn't work so well with a Skagit head with the exception of the fast and extra fast ones.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Are the Airflo Salmon/Steelhead Polyleaders any good on a Scandi head? I see that their grain weights a very light for the floating up to the slow sink (26gr-30gr) and increase as you get to the heavier fast, extra fast polys ( up to 76gr). I'm assuming that given how light the they they wouldn't work so well with a Skagit head with the exception of the fast and extra fast ones.
i have used the 14’ super fast sink on a 9wt esh head and it cast nice

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up a few 10 ft SA Sonar Polyleaders that were on sale for $11 each, so they should fit the bill for my Scandi head. They may be ok for my Skagit head as well and I will see how they do but I may pick up something a little heavier for that head. Thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts