Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what size hooks you use on your mini-intruders and mini-leeches. I think my 4's might be a little too big.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I usually the OPST swing hook in size 6, and occasionally the Ahrex 483 in size 8 if I need something slightly smaller or with a different shape.

Anything much smaller than that and I'll typically tie my micro intruders on regular size 10 or 12 streamer hooks vs. a shank or tube.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well i think 4 is okay but i use Size 6 opst or other brand (aqua talon or owner etc)for trout mini intruders. This great lakes run caught on 8 trailer on mini rhea intruder.8 years ago my first spey fish ever, came while practicing (thats why i look o_O)
minipurpleintruder2.jpg

A size 6 can be really strong. like a decade ago I hooked a very rare (in lake ontario) lake sturgeon while float fishing in the niagara river . I didn't know it was a lake sturgeon and it just slowly swam out of the pool. Instant game over as the current is legendary, most times fish even avoid it... so i clamped down (locking the spool) own my center pin (thinking it was lake trout or steelhead) to stop it. My whole rod line got so insanely tight, again the fish wasn't even trying. Just slowly cruising out of the area. my buddy from the other side started to shout ‘its a big sturgeon!’ over and over... then it finally popped off, The hook was slightly straightened. The hook (a simple gammy) took a beating though. Left a big impression. I was lucky my rod didn't break. Would have been nice to see/touch it underwater the entire time of course, but your not spouse to mess them intentionally anyways so its for the best

·
Registered
434 Posts
I run size 6 Aqua Talons for my small stinger flies (trout and small steelhead). Any smaller than that, I just use streamer hooks or small irons.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I use mostly 4's n 6's. Owners, Opst's, n such. I like a lil more of an upturned eye when running wire trailer wire. Keeps the hook straighter but thats just my preference. Those OPST hooks are pretty darn nice tho. I don't think 4 is overkill.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like 6's are the best bet for what I'm going to be doing with mostly tubes. tight lines

·
Premium Member
Sage HD Trout Spey 1wt & 3wt; Meiser S2H1132S-5
110 Posts
I'm completely new to this but I'm surprised at the small hook sizes, at least with the 6's. Clearly I need more experience here but I like 4 & 2. 6 seems too small.

ps - i tried posting the other, a few beers deep and muffed it up with quotes in the replay, then half quotes, fricken mess.

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
1,727 Posts
I'm completely new to this but I'm surprised at the small hook sizes, at least with the 6's. Clearly I need more experience here but I like 4 & 2. 6 seems too small.

ps - i tried posting the other, a few beers deep and muffed it up with quotes in the replay, then half quotes, fricken mess.
HA!! Im picking up where you left off with the beer....anyway the OPST #6 hooks are a great hook as are the Aqua Talon.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
It depends on the fly, I have used size 2 to size 8. Just as I tied Muddlers and Mice patterns in different sizes.

For in-tube straight eyes, I like the Gamakatsu C14S, but also have Owner Mosquitos
For up-turn eyes, I have Gamakatsu 2407s and Owner SSWs /Octopus.

If we are into catch and release, and want to bring in the fish quickly, we want to size up, as it reasonable, but there is nothing wrong going to a fine fly with a small hook.

·
Registered
Echo TR2, Sage MOD, Echo Shadow II, ACR Nova II
41 Posts
For my trout spey leeches and sculpins ( because thats basically I i fish :censored:) I use size 6 owner mosquitos. On my summer steelhead and smaller winter flies Ill go size 4s

1 - 13 of 13 Posts