Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone using for leaders on their trout spey lines?

For scandi lines I am using 8# or 10# bonefish leaders and adding tippet. The saltwater leaders are a bit stiffer than regular leaders. I think I might have picked up that idea off of Dave Henry's blog (credit where credit is due :)).

I haven't used Skagit lines for trout much... at least not yet.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Trout leaders-

Depending on the situation:
Airflo Interm poly's
Rio fluoro/powerflex
Rio 8# bonefish
Using 3'-6' 1x-5x Rio flouroflex tippet....

A lighter skagit or an Ambush with Rio 10' 3/6 tips

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Scandi lines and small soft hackles or wets = Maxima Ultra Green 16' to 18' in total length,,, the tippet is 3'-4' Flouro.

Skagit lines with T8/T11 = about 2' total length,,, 12# about 1' and the FC tippet.

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Furled leader, tippet ring and a couple of feet ..

of leader of choice. Float in the air, land straight as an arrow with a slight wiggle on the leader bit. Slowly uncoil, wait, and hope. These things can be like watching a 'Cobra' in action: Slow but effective

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've never tried the furled leader approach with the two hander, might have to give it a go.

I've been using the Airflo polyleaders and the light Rio MOW and iMOW tips depending on the conditions and flies in use.

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
snowbee trout polys or tapered heavy trout mono, on silk DT and WF lines or snowbee switch line, all good on the bamboo switch

·
Registered
678 Posts
Snowbee 10' intermediate or floating trout poly-coated leaders with 5'-7' level 6 wt Maxima ultra green - super set up for me.

Occasionally, long (14'-17') tapered mono leaders and 6 wt Maxima ultra green tippet.

Need to try furled leaders with mono tippet, however. Fred is probably on to something.

Tom

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'll typically create my own leaders via a few different lb. flouro's. Doing that for quite a period of time you'll learn to create different tapers for various things that fit your style and casting.

For the stubborn leader shy ones maxima is my choice. For steelhead and trout who aren't scared of a bit of fluoro in their face I use seaguar invisX red & yellow label for its proven raw strength in bringing bigger fish to your feet.

As far as skagit head/ running line set up, I've learned to not enjoy it as much for my trout rivers. Fishing the river such as the Truckee where there's many obstacles to fish around I prefer a WF floating line 2x the weight of rod over skagit setup with the two handers.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fred,
I saw your post under Tackle saying:

"First you start with a Furled Leader, at least 5 foot with a 3mm ring on the end. Then leader of choice to kick the whole thing out to 9 feet."

How are you sizing and where are you getting your furled leaders?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fred,
I saw your post under Tackle saying:

"First you start with a Furled Leader, at least 5 foot with a 3mm ring on the end. Then leader of choice to kick the whole thing out to 9 feet."

How are you sizing and where are you getting your furled leaders?
YouTube furled leaders, you can create your own via mono, I typically do this on a dry fly rig as its powerful casting Nd surprisingly delicate upon landing.

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
I don't think I have ever thought of using Bone fish leaders? Can someone please explain the advantages of using such a leader?

It's good to have a trout section on here as well.

KC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts