Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a steelhead pattern or two I think would work great for trout spey, but I'm having trouble identifying a proper hook to use. Both patterns call for the Alec Jackson spey hooks, which only go as small as a #7 are are way overkill for the fish I am chasing. For those of you that are tying up steelhead patterns for trout, what hook are you using?

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
For the shape maybe a TMC 200R. The one in the pic is a 6 for compairison but they come in much smaller sizes. I found some of the Steelhead favorite TMC 7999 in size 12. Untill then I didn’t think they had smaller than 8. However, I’m not sure where to get more. Hope this gives some ideas - I’m sure the experts wil come up with better suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Partridge Heavy and Low Water Singles both go down to #12 and are quite small, and the Partridge Up Eye Single goes down to #10 (well actually #12 as well, but you can't find them in the US) and is a great looking hook. I've had kinda mixed luck with the TMC 200R, which is an incredibly popular Stimulator/Stonefly hook but doesn't hold fish well for me. Here are some random winged wets and several of the top flies are tied on little Partridge salmon hooks (the others are on a proper trout hooks).

Wets.jpg

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info everyone! I do like Partridge, but damn they are quite proud (price wise) of their salmon hooks! The TMC 7999 looks to be exactly what I'm looking for, hopefully I can find someone who carries it in a size smaller then 8.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I use Alec Jackson Spey hooks for trout streamers, and love that. Size #7 is OK for average trout in our waters. For bigger fish I'd go with #5

Also good hooks are Hanak streamer wave barbless , but they are quite big to their size.... Size #8 Hanak is wider than Alec Jackson #7

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts