Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With low steelhead returns on my local river, I have turned to skating for my local trout. I been using mostly 4,5,6wt single handers and my old sage 490 rpl and loomis 9'5wt imx as switch conversions using a removable butt. My little wang skaters in size 10 have been getting it done.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
Great stuff Todd !!
Hopefully I'll be able to get to the river soon with Celeste to try the same :)
Looks like a lot of fun !!

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Had the same idea! I was planning on tying some smaller ones exactly like that since I'm going to MT in a few weeks. Last year I caught a bunch of fish one day, and one beast, swinging when nobody on the river was doing that. If I can skate up some on my dedicated "contrary day" in front of those guys Czech nymphing with all the gadgets and nets hanging off them it will be a blast! After all I have actual, non-metaphorical screws in my head now.:chuckle:

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'm going to be skating my ass off as soon as the water drops a little. That looks like tremendous fun.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Dang, you just shifted my trout fishing paradigm. If a skated fly can induce a steelhead to strike, why not a trout? Any chance you could post your fly recipe?

Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Having dislocated my shoulder and unable to cast a spey rod, I have resorted to a 17ft 2 handed Tenkara/Keiryu rod with a fixed line for skating for trout, slightly different approach but same results, skating flies are a blast, any which way you chose to do it

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Dang, you just shifted my trout fishing paradigm. If a skated fly can induce a steelhead to strike, why not a trout? Any chance you could post your fly recipe?

Thanks!
Todd has beautiful instructions on his blog. Since I have had this bookmarked for the past year here it is :

DRY LINE STEELHEAD - OREGON: Purely Functional Skater (aka Little Wang) Step by Step

As nice a set of instruction as you could ask for. Size for trout as appropriate I suppose.

BTW, the craft foam on Amazon is the same stuff, and you can get a decades supply of all kind of colors, provided you don't want something with too naturalistic a color, for the price of one or two of those "fly tying" foam sheets. Everything costs 5-10 times more once you lable it as related to fly fishing. :)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Had the same idea! I was planning on tying some smaller ones exactly like that since I'm going to MT in a few weeks. Last year I caught a bunch of fish one day, and one beast, swinging when nobody on the river was doing that. If I can skate up some on my dedicated "contrary day" in front of those guys Czech nymphing with all the gadgets and nets hanging off them it will be a blast! After all I have actual, non-metaphorical screws in my head now.:chuckle:
Let us know how trout skating in MT goes, wished I was going! No need for Czech nymphing when trout will attack skaters!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm going to be skating my ass off as soon as the water drops a little. That looks like tremendous fun.
Trout skating is alot of fun! It is like skating for steelhead but on a miniature scale with those aggressive rises, plus there is a better chance of catching something when you are targeting trout.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Thanks!
That was my thought process exactly! I just downsized my gear and flies to suit chasing trout. In my waters, it is possible to hook into steelhead while trout fishing so I am always open to hooking into a steelhead by accident!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Having dislocated my shoulder and unable to cast a spey rod, I have resorted to a 17ft 2 handed Tenkara/Keiryu rod with a fixed line for skating for trout, slightly different approach but same results, skating flies are a blast, any which way you chose to do it
Tenkara skating sounds like fun!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Todd has beautiful instructions on his blog. Since I have had this bookmarked for the past year here it is :

DRY LINE STEELHEAD - OREGON: Purely Functional Skater (aka Little Wang) Step by Step

As nice a set of instruction as you could ask for. Size for trout as appropriate I suppose.

BTW, the craft foam on Amazon is the same stuff, and you can get a decades supply of all kind of colors, provided you don't want something with too naturalistic a color, for the price of one or two of those "fly tying" foam sheets. Everything costs 5-10 times more once you lable it as related to fly fishing. :)
Bostari,
Thanks for linking my SBS, I am homored that you bookmarked it!

I may have to check Amazon for foam, I seem to go through alot of it.

Todd

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Bostari,
Thanks for linking my SBS, I am homored that you bookmarked it!

I may have to check Amazon for foam, I seem to go through alot of it.

Todd
They do seem to have all the colors you use in these flies. What they do not have are colors like olive, or "caddis brown" etc. :). I suppose you could start dying theM. I'll send you the link.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I started swinging small steelhead sedges while practicing with my 7136 and picked up a bunch of cutthroats. One year later and casting a new one 2# loaded with an SA Sandi lite line. I've been skating elk hair caddis,chernobyl ants and anything that I can hitch and skate to great success. I've also been able to cast wets to rising fish and am able to see he take.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts