Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Now that I am getting caught up on other fly gear, the time has come to start seriously looking for a new two-handed rod exclusively for trout. By that, I mean Alaskan trout, and possibly sea run browns. I already have my salmon spey rod(Loop Grey Line 9/10) and wish to get one more rod to cover my bases. I have narrowed them down to either one of the new Loomis rods, or a Euro action Sage.

Can anyone give me some sound advice on which of these two rods (spec. length/weight) are best suited to all around trout fishing up here? I am thinking that floating line will be best so I'm not too concerned with heavy tips etc. Also, does anyone have ideas on indicator fishing with two-handed rods? Specifically, bead/indicator rigs. Does it work?

Thanks,

-Chris

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Another Option

to consider, even though you appear to have eliminated it, is a Meiser Rod. I have the 11' 7" for 5/6 and it is a great trout and light steelhead rod.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,480 Posts
Ted,

Do you use the Meiser rod for Redsides? I have been toying with getting one of the trout speys for my yearly May trip to the D.

sinktip

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Meiser 11' 7"

Sinktip.

I have used this for some trout from a float tube on Wallowa lake. About as much fun as my 9' Sage SP for #6. I used it last summer for Kamloops trout in BC. Some of those were over 20 inches, so it whould be fun and fine for the Deschutes redsides. I have not had a chence to do that yet, but this spring and summer should give it a go.

I wouldn't want anything much longer for a float tube. It would also be great for SRCs in the Sound. It is easy to get 100+ feet with a head system. It also works surprisingly well with a Skagit head system.

·
Registered
124 Posts
trout rods

Bob Meiser and Gary Anderson both make a 12'6" spey rod. If you like the action of the Loop Grey rods you should definately try both rods. I have cast the Meiser and own one of the Anderson rods. You can get one for between $400 and a lot depending on how many bells and whistles you want. Yes, (gasp!) I have used my ACR rod on both the Deschutes and the Rogue dead-drifting small nymphs and it works excellent. Very light and easily casts 70ft. I usually don't use a strike indicator, but when I did in heavy water it was small and you just have to use a little less anchor. The ACR rod casts up to 350 grains, probably a little more with the Meiser rod, so there is plenty of power for tips. A must have rod for big trout and small steelhead!

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
The Meiser

I have spent time with the Meiser 12'6" 4/5/6 trout spey and about the best reccomendation I can give is that I ordered one. It is a sweet casting rod. A true ultralight like the Sage 5120 but with some authority to it. Handles custom cut longlines up to around 400 grains and still easily casts shorter lines like the Windcutter 5/6. I found that the Windcutter and the Hardy Mach 1 Plus @ 64 feet and 325 grains were the perfect off the shelf lines, with the Windcutter throwing light tips and the Hardy handling long leaders and beadhead flies wih ease.

I tried the 11'4" 5/6 and the 11'7" 5/6 along with the 12'6" 4/5/6 and liked the 4/5/6 because it had the sweetest "Spey rod" feel to it of the 3. If you were looking for a long rod to high stick or indicator fish with the 11'7" is the ticket.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"I have narrowed them down to either one of the new Loomis rods, or a Euro action Sage."

Sage's 6126 is an incredible rod. It can spey cast the medium lines and short head lines with tips and tip compensator. It should work quite well in Alaska for your trout.

The other alternative would be one of Meiser's Switch Rods for smaller streams. Call Bob and ask him what he would recommend. The advantage of a switch rod, is they can be used from a boat, drift boat or a personal pontoon craft. They are 10' 6". I have three of them, Meise's 5/6, 7/8 and 9/10.

Re indicators, the Sage Euro 6126 and the Meise Switch Rods are awesome with indicator fishing and streamer fishing without indicators.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. I think that I will go with the Sage 6 weight rod. Now, which line is best? I'm thinking one of the Rio floaters. My reel will be a Loop Evotec LW 8-12, which should be perfect.

-Chris

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Line for the Sage 6126

Chris T. said:
Thanks for the input. I think that I will go with the Sage 6 weight rod. Now, which line is best? I'm thinking one of the Rio floaters. My reel will be a Loop Evotec LW 8-12, which should be perfect.

-Chris

I would recommend the Rio Mid Spey 7/8 with the tips as that will allow you cover deep water to dry fly fishing.

Try to get a reel that weighs about the same as the rod. The Loop 3 W would be a great match. In fact I will be buying one with a spare spool at the new 45% off for my 6126. The Loop 3W balances the 6126. I will put my 7/8 Midspey on one spool, and my WC 678 with the upgrade on the other spool. I use the WC with the upgrade in high wind conditions. The Wind Cutter does what its name says.

Below is the link for the discounted Loop reels:

danielsson-flyreels.com/en/start_us.php

1 - 9 of 9 Posts