Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trout on the Williamson were holding deep all day so we threw on the intermediate short scandis and started swinging steelhead flies low and slow. It completely turned our day around. Donna O'Sullivan hooked a trout that was at least 30", it jumped twice and broke the 2x leader like a thread. Have any of you guys done this before, if not give it a shot.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Other way around.

As Nate knows the West Side of the Cascade Mountains are very short on trout water (save for lakes). South East side where he fishes is a whole different game plan. (Lucky Dog grew up over there.)

No reason why a Steelhead pattern tied small wouldn't work; trout flies for Steelhead have been my 'staple' for years. Most of the patterns I use actually come to me from the UK. Back story to that is I post on a major UK board, fellow(s) will find some 'hell of a deal,' not hard if you look at what they pay for the same thing!:crying:

Most 'seller's' won't ship out side of the US so packet comes to me and I hit the shipping company that's a mile from my front door and off she goes. Typical delivery time (me to them) is 7 working days and never a miss over the past several years. The what in return to off set my cost will be a box of hand tied flies; I have twice a life-time supply at this point ......:roll:

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,262 Posts
All the time Nate; I use the same flies we swing for Kings & Silvers for trout & steelhead here. The big fat sculpin ties are a really good bet too.

·
registered text offender
1,335 Posts
dry, damp or wet, muddlers !!
no wrong way to fish em !
ive been liking a black/orange or natural one lately.
cant wait till our fish start seeing more hoppers....

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Cutties, dollies, bulltrout, rainbows & browns will all take 'steelhead' flies and even larger chinook tubeflies!! It's in their nature to grab what appears in their 'taking' window :) ...and you are likely (as proved already) to attract the larger specimens in many cases.

Mike

Reactions: roguebum

·
Registered
73 Posts
In all the years I've fished the Rogue I've hooked exactly .... two. :(

Fred
Secret spot. You know about it, I've seen you there! But I don't have the authority to announce it on a board. Normally I have to wade to the other side of the river and fish the tailout of a backside channel. There seems to be one holding there more often than not. Maybe it's the same one that I am catching over & over again. If so, he's got to be pretty ticked off by now! >:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I caught this guy on a purple leech fishing for steelhead with Mike Sturza a few weeks ago.

We had a few others, but this guy was the biggest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts