Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What techniques are commenly used to manage running line when casting a skagit line. Do people use a stripping basket or just let it all hang out.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Orvis's Foam Holster, aka stripping basket works great

swingndeep said:
What techniques are commenly used to manage running line when casting a skagit line. Do people use a stripping basket or just let it all hang out.
Thanks
Mike
http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=22907

The link above will take you to a thread I posted about the Orvis Holster.

It works great with the Skagit lines, Ob lines and any line where you strip in line or running line and shoot it on the cast.

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
I carry a series of loops with my lower hand, up to 4 or 5 depending on how much line I am shooting. I usually strip 4 times, loop, strip 3 times, loop etc. Make your cast and drop the loops.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I prefer to hold a series of loops in my hand. I use the same formula as KerryS most of the time. Some times I use Mike McCune's (???) 50% rule. If I'm casting 10 strips, I'll strip in 5 and make a loop, then strip in the last 5 and cast.

swingndeep said:
Thanks
Mike

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Similar

I hold them but I hold them in decreasing sizes. If I have 15 pulls I will fo 6, 5 and 4. That way the shorter one flies out of the middle of the next larger one. The long last one leaves a little drag on the water which even helps thins turn over better at long distance.

The other thing is to choose the right running line. Some tangle like crazy. Some remember where they tangled and do so again and again. Some are very soft, no memory and no tangles. Don't be content until you find the right one. If you need some options to test against each other send me an email.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I do the loop thing but I don't vary the length of the loops. I will definitly be giving that a try.
Mike

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Also

check out Simon's system on the new RIO casting DVD.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I believe Mr Willie Gunn is away bothering some Norwegian salmon, so in his absence may I suggest you look at a device called a flexi-stripper?

Whilst you won't be surprised to hear that WG doesn't use a Skagit line, I have watched him fish with Loop shooting heads when stripping a Collie Dog or Sunray Shadow, and using one of these devices. It's a line tray that can be worn on your side (either round the waist or upper thigh) so that, as the line is stripped in, it falls naturally onto the spikes. A big advantage is that it's small and light enough not to present a significant encumbrance, but still seems effective in managing even quite large quantities of running line. I suspect it's the line tray Fred mentioned in the thread linked by Grampa spey above.

Don't know if they're available in the US; they originate in Scandinavia but are distributed in the UK by occasional Speypages contributor 'Berlin'. Flexi-stripper dot com has some video of it in use with a double handed rod.

Usual disclaimer - no financial interest in this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts