Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys hit the Catt the past couple of days (just missed getting snowed in lol). We were fishing deep and slow due to the weather. When I was full 10ft T8 and T11 mow tips I would occasionally would completely farm the anchor set while casting with a c-spey.

From the hang down I would circle under and about 1/4 of the time the sink tip and fly would not come up out of the water. I would the. Have to just roll cast back downstream and start over and all would be good. Seemed it happened more on longer swings where the tip was fully sunk.

Set was a ross reach 11'9 7wt switch with a Airflo skagit compact 480grn, which normally casts like a lazer with various other float/sink combo mow tips.

I tried exaggerating my initial lift but even that didn't solve the issue.

Any ideas.

Thanks
J-

·
Carp aficionado
1,214 Posts
When fishing with deep sink tips a roll cast to bring it up is not uncommon. Depending on the gear setup sometimes you can lift higher and slower and lift the sinktip out enough to not need a roll cast. Try lifting both hands more so the rod tip just elevates and doesn't come towards your body much. But with only an 11'9" rod you may not be able to escape the roll cast.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Stripping some line back in does really help, so much so that I've often arranged myself to fish with a bit more line out so that I can have some shooting line to strip back in. This lifts the tip a lot closer to the surface, and should help make the lift a bit smoother and easier. 10' of T-8 shouldn't be that hard to lift up though, so I'd be curious as to what else might be missing technique wise there. How big/heavy of flies were you fishing as well?

JB

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
To what was said above, I'd ad lift sloooowly. If you're paying attention (hard to feel with cold hands), you can feel the water tension release the line. If that happens early in your lift, initiate your C. If late, roll cast the tip up, then when it extends, go immediately into your lift-followed by your C.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Connect just T11, T8 and use about 10' leader and cast Underhand style (true Andersson). Easy, sinks fast and not too bad range with small fly either :smokin:

That 190gr is very light but perhaps T14 and T11 together (250gr) could be OK.

Esa

·
Registered
533 Posts
Plane brother!

Lift high and slow...don't engage the "snap" part of your "C" until you see the fly plane,

As well, if your dangle is dying in slower, deeper water down stream from you...the fly will plunge...Those situations a roll cast downstream never killed anybody prior to starting a set-up. The roll technically does not even have to fully turn over...just lifting the tip and fly closer to the surface will do the trick.

BB~

·
Registered
466 Posts
trouble with sink tips

A bit off subject but , how has the catt fished for you this year ? My trips have resulted in decidedly mixed results . Probably the fisherman and not the fish .
: !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got pushed out by the weather. I had several bumps and a hook up that broke me off in some wood. Out of 6 guys we landed 4 fish in one day on the river.

J-

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Question here for you Bender (anyone else too).

Connect just T11, T8 and use about 10' leader and cast Underhand style (true Andersson). Easy, sinks fast and not too bad range with small fly either :smokin:

That 190gr is very light but perhaps T14 and T11 together (250gr) could be OK.

Esa
Quite surprised at the length of the leader your using off a sink tip. 'Here' 2 - 4 foot would be more the norm. Reason is hydrologic pressure will push a long leader towards the surface which is counter productive.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep we only use 2-4feet off of our tips in the GL's too otherwise u r fishing above the sink tip. I shoot for my fly being neutrally bouant straight out from the from the end of the tip.

As for my problems with the heavier tips I had the preveilege to take an advanced casting class with Tom larimer today and get me all ironed out lol.

J-

·
Registered
76 Posts
may i suggest trying the airflo skagit switch head in place of the compact. i had similar issues and the shorter head fixed everything not to mention its just an all around better fit for the switch rod IMO

edit FYI my 450gr switch head casts all combos of medium t-11 MOWs and 10' of t8-t14 no problem.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Quite surprised at the length of the leader your using off a sink tip. 'Here' 2 - 4 foot would be more the norm. Reason is hydrologic pressure will push a long leader towards the surface which is counter productive.
Long and relative thin leader acts as an anchor, calms down line loop in the air, lengthens the cast when weighted fly pulls leader tight in the end and also helps weighted fly sink deeper.

When fly has some added weight weight and not too much hair it usually sinks faster than fly line when leader is long and thin so leader drag in water is lessened.

Somewhere water current can lift line but somewhere it also sinks line so it should not be significant issue. Nevertheless when line tip sinks to a certain depth most sinking flys run deeper.

Esa

1 - 13 of 13 Posts