Spey Pages banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I like flouro for tippet when fishing tiny chironomids in stillwater. A tiny suspended fly that a trout will have time to look at before choosing to commit.

On moving water fishing a fly that is drifting or swinging past and a fish quickly decides to eat or not as well as your leader is often subjected to abrasion on the river bottom or debris, I will only use mono for leader (maxima ultra green specifically)

I too have been burned by leader breaks either from a ”hot” knot or nicked leader that I am confident would not of been the case with mono as well as really don’t see the advantage of flouro at all in rivers. If I can’t hook a fish I think it’s most likely my approach or technique more so than my chosen leader material.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Never had issues with Tc. But have learned that not all brands are created equal, and not all knots are good to use with Fc. After tightening, I test the knots. They either break and I retie, or they hold and are reliable. Just my limited experience with it.

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
I have never had issues with Maxima Ultragreen. I use Chameleon for butt material on my long, light leaders usually.
Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for my experience with florocarbon materials. I've tried many and the results end the same, broken tippet somewhere in the middle.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I’ve seen this happen with fluorocarbon as well. I’ve used seagar red label with success at times though. Basically just use maxima now because it works all the time

Reactions: Salar-1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lots of good advice here.

I have never found Atlantic Salmon to be exceptionally leader shy and only use FC when fishing trout. Knotless tapered leaders cut back with a 8lb Maxima tippet has always worked for me. If you still want the FC tippet try using the Seaguar knot. good for a mono to FC transition. Cheers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Recently.I was nymphing with a flouro tippet that had a perfection loop at the top,and a clinch knot at the fly. Eight times in a row the loop broke when i got stuck on wood. When I changed to a double surgeons,it never broke again.

·
Registered
CF Burkheimer, Olson, Teno, Danielsson, Guideline, Rio, Nextcast.
121 Posts
Recently.I was nymphing with a flouro tippet that had a perfection loop at the top,and a clinch knot at the fly. Eight times in a row the loop broke when i got stuck on wood. When I changed to a double surgeons,it never broke again.
what loop ?

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Speymachine, same thing here. My FC perfection loops at the leader/ line interface were regularly breaking. The FC hinged and the leader snapped just below the knot. I've since moved to a tripple surgeon knot, and no more problems. As I said above, not all knots are good to use with FC.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Speymachine, same thing here. My FC perfection loops at the leader/ line interface were regularly breaking. The FC hinged and the leader snapped just below the knot. I've since moved to a tripple surgeon knot, and no more problems. As I said above, not all knots are good to use with FC.
The non-slip loop that work very well on FC is Lefty loop with 4-5 turns. Perfection has a poor strength even on nylon.

Another great loop which is not bulky is The king sling loop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Simon, I'm not a fan of surgeon knots,they are so bulky. BUT,they don't break.... . At the rate I was going,I couldn't carry enough flies with me. After sticking 8 flies in debris,I fished the same fly the rest of the day! I catch on pretty fast!

·
Registered
121 Posts
A standard tippet to leader connection like blood knot is quite weak, even on nylon. I typically connect 30-36" F tippet to core fluorocarbon leader ( using F-H-I head) with a small loop to loop connection ( Lefty loop or King Sling). Both very strong.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts