Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just assembled an Outcast PAC 800(8' pontoons; 55lb.) and purchased a Minn-Kota 50lb thrust transom-mounted, salt-water trolling motor. Should be fine cruising my home brackish, salt-water estuaries. When trout fishing, however, does anyone have any experience with these motors being able to take me back upstream to my put-in. Anticipated floats would be 2-3 miles on medium sized GA/NC(i.e., Chatahoochie/Tuckasegee Rs.) fresh water rivers. If doable it would obviate the need to arrange for the usual shuttle back to the vehicle when the float downstream is complete.
M-K specks indicate a 50lb thrust trolling motor powerful enough to move a boat weighing 3500lb. Any input or referral to another source would be appreciated.

·
Registered
396 Posts
pontoon boat

I have an Outcast 10 footer with a 2hp Honda 4 stroke--I have used it in Lake Erie and it pushes the boat very well--in fact, it is likely too powerful for the boat as there is a lot of vibration at full throttle. The motor runs all day on almost no gas and is quite light to carry.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Please let me know how your Rip Tide works.

clyde olson said:
I have just assembled an Outcast PAC 800(8' pontoons; 55lb.) and purchased a Minn-Kota 50lb thrust transom-mounted, salt-water trolling motor. Should be fine cruising my home brackish, salt-water estuaries. When trout fishing, however, does anyone have any experience with these motors being able to take me back upstream to my put-in. Anticipated floats would be 2-3 miles on medium sized GA/NC(i.e., Chatahoochie/Tuckasegee Rs.) fresh water rivers. If doable it would obviate the need to arrange for the usual shuttle back to the vehicle when the float downstream is complete.
M-K specks indicate a 50lb thrust trolling motor powerful enough to move a boat weighing 3500lb. Any input or referral to another source would be appreciated.
I have the Rip Tide 40 which really propelled a pram and does a good job with my 15' Jon boat with two people in the boat.

I will probably be buying a one man pontoon boat like yours or the Hobie Mirage pedal fishing kayak later this spring to do what your are planning to do. I will do the opposite, I will motor upstream and fish/float/oar down stream back to my launching point and my Bronco. Of course the Hobie will only need lower leg power to pedal upstream, and no motor is needed.

Please private mail me after you try your Riptide and your pontoon.

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Upstream or downstream

Clyde, whatever motor you end up with, since I know you are relatively new to all this fishing stuff I strongly suggest you follow Grampa Spey's model and always motor upstream from your ride home, fishing on the float back to your vehicle. Trust me. I think you can figure out why that is the prudent thing to do.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Big old laugh!

fliegenfischer said:
Clyde, whatever motor you end up with, since I know you are relatively new to all this fishing stuff I strongly suggest you follow Grampa Spey's model and always motor upstream from your ride home, fishing on the float back to your vehicle. Trust me. I think you can figure out why that is the prudent thing to do.
Amazing how this works so much better than trying to motor back upstream at the end of the day with a battery that has died or is dying. :chuckle:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts