Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it was mentioned shortly in "Scandinavian Speycast" DVD from Henrik Mortensen, but I'm not fully got the idea.

Who can explain or show some example on youtube?
as I understood, rod tip path is like letter "C" drawn counter-clockwise from top to down, right?
if so, isn't it the same as snap C/circle C cast family?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Looking forward to seeing where this thread goes.

I don't think iI've ever heard of the cast, and can't even think about what it must look look like in 'action.'

·
Registered
214 Posts
It's a cast executed by a recent convert from the single-handed world who believes he has to false cast twice before executing the real thing. Does manage to air dry your waker...:chuckle:

·
Registered
547 Posts
"as I understood, rod tip path is like letter "C" drawn counter-clockwise from top to down, right?
if so, isn't it the same as snap C/circle C cast family?"

No, the rod tip actually forms a circle so it isn't the same. The "C" is only referring to the clockwise or counter clockwise motion. Henrik also gives an explanation in his book "Fly Casting Scandinavian Style".

Sorry, meant to include this info in my first post. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Triple C- Counter Clockwise Circle.

On the video it's nothing like a circle, spiral or snake roll. The circle seems drawn in a nearly horizontal overhead plane, downwind, as a way to carry the line until it dropped to the side and the anchor is placed.

That's just my description of what I saw in the video. At about 13:30.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Given the present options ...

Triple C- Counter Clockwise Circle.

On the video it's nothing like a circle, spiral or snake roll. The circle seems drawn in a nearly horizontal overhead plane, downwind, as a way to carry the line until it dropped to the side and the anchor is placed.

Sounds like a hell of a lot of extra work.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Sounds like a hell of a lot of extra work.
I could see it having a place, but I guess I take a more simple approach. I also suspect Mr Mortenson gets to fish a lot more than I do, in a lot more places, so he probably encounters a lot more varied conditions than I do and has more time to come up with polished solutions. Lots of good info on the vid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Commonly seen when distance casters in competition re position the line prior to the single spey. It is dynamic and creates a very dynamic D loop for the single spey.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts

I'd be interested in hearing how you differentiate this from a spiral single. Sure looks to me like a variant of one, with a very tight, high, compact initial ("spiral") motion.

I am looking maybe around 15:50 to 16:30.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing how you differentiate this from a spiral single. Sure looks to me like a variant of one, with a very tight, high, compact initial ("spiral") motion.

I am looking maybe around 15:50 to 16:30.
I see the spiral single as a variation of a spiral pickup folks have been doing sh casting for as long as I've sh cast- which is longer than I want to admit. The motion helps pick the line off the water and then flows right into the backcast.

The triple C dealio seems to be a way of holding the line in an overhead horizontal plane til you want to reposition it for your anchor. I'm not sure what you are doing while deciding on the anchor- coffee? flask? waiting for a break in the downstream wind?

I have no skin in the game. It's more refinement and narrower definition than I've ever thought about. I just like to cast, and am not sure I'd ever get this specific about any of it. My earlier point was just my observation from watching the video.

I also think that fly fishing becoming more and more of a business/career has lead to more people naming things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts