Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed to the trinity river chasing steelhead tomorrow. Was wondering if anyone has been to Lewiston at all recently around the fly fishing only section. Curious about flies and techniques.
Thanks again for any insight.
Tight Lines
Chad

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have not been there recently but have fished it quite a bit. The water is fairly cold up there due releases from the dam. A lot of people nymph fish. I like to swing small flies in subdued colors like olive and brown such as mini lady carolines. One time i spotted a buttery yellow brown of about 10 lbs. I couldnt get him to eat because the steelhead kept beating him to the fly. I prefer to fish downstream of Lewiston because it can get so crowded and breeches in etiquette have been so common. However, there are a lot of fish in that section. Due to the heavy fishing pressure i believe smaller flies in earth tones to be most effective. Have fun!

Nate

·
Registered
107 Posts
The fly-only section (Old Lewiston Bridge upstream to a bit below the dam) is closed until April, but maybe you knew that and are referring to the area immediately below. The upstream-most public access points do tend to get a lot of traffic this time of year, and the vast majority of the traffic is fishing under indicators from boats.
Sure, there are a few guides that are happy to row back up through a run several times while you wait at the top, and a few who will instruct their sports to flip their bobbers in right below you as they pass, but in my experience most are clear on etiquette, will try not to disturb your water as they pass, etc.
Because most other folks are fishing small trout flies with shot under bobbers, I look for small pieces of water more suited specifically for the swing, and I’ve had success with the same flies I might fish in BC in fall - a pick-yer-pocket or small hoh-bo in black with blue or green butt works well for me even late in the day after the parade of red copper johns has gone through.
Jed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for the information. I'm certainly aware of that sections closure time periods. Definitely a good reminder, thank you but I enjoy the entire upper river. I have had good luck swinging larger nymphs like orange bead head Otis bug with rubber legs. Does anyone else swing nymphs.
Curious for sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts