Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of my problems is I tie with no concise plan in mind...one dee was going to be a spey but i tried turkey wings and they didn't tent so "bang" Dee!!
the other is an actual attempt at a Dee on a Dee hook even...

think i got the wing right but not flat...will be learning more about that in a week or so at Will next tying class...

need a box of these now!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I really like that Agus wing set. Nice work.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The wing on the dee (the Argus winged fly) is a bit long and is too many fibers wide for this hook. A wing that has 3-4 fewer fibers in each side would be about perfect, and you'd find it will also be far easier to set properly. As for length, keep the wing slips on a dee as long as or slightly shorter than the tip of the tail. Also, work on making your heads on dees at least half as long as they are currently.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
nice set. i agree with flytyer. also there seems to be a bit of space beetween throat and wings. tapper down the front of the flies so the wings can sit lower
also the tag is to long .
also rember dee bodies are meant to be dubed tightly and thin.

let see the next set

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got pissed watching the mariners and tied this one..but I didn't see the comments, which make sense...i'll do those next time!!

interested to see what they are like in the water..

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,096 Posts
Some good advice here Paul already :)
I like the chosen colour schemes, very fishy.
I agree with the width of slips Russ mentioned and it will not only be easier to tie in, but also fish better. Wide slips can skue a fly on the swing and split. I've experimented and observed a lot with this style of fly.
One comment on your crest tail, select a long and full crest or double them up. Before tying in, strip off the short barbules, this will clean up the tail and you won't have the wayward barbules from the crests.
Your body hackle seems to be pulled down from the top side of the fly. Try to keep the hackles flowing around the shank and not just on the underside. This allows the fly to remain sparse and free movement of the hackles on the swing. The fly will fish better :)

Mike

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhh....so you don't pull it down like a spey huh? damn that would have been easier....LOL
I got some heron in and have been going a bit nuts with it...and after reading about the wing, that makes a lot of sense to, I was tying off a fly that was given me and saw how it was flat but didn't think about that.

i will do some more!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts