Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could comment on these lines, and how they compare with some of the others on the market. Looking for a good line to use with a 1208-4 for both overhead and spey casting.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
awsome,absolutely,prefered for dry line work,but everyone has a different stroke,timing,rod,so without slobbering ,seems they have a light front taper,need a sharp stop to unfold,used to that though with single handers, playing with SA lines they have a heavier front taper ,better for way heavy flies,,seems both have very stiff coating,preferred by me and rogue steelhead,only ***** is as always,,,never enough of it,if i could get this line in a 150 ft. head,,wow,,18 ft. daiwa,double shot of jack,well anyway if ya' buy em;' don't like em' pm me i'll take up the slack,,,hit the spey pages,,beat on JD YOUNG,,he's who ya' want to talk to

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I also like the Scandinavian Heads best for dual duty, the 8/9 tricolor is an intermediate/sink tip that does both styles well.

I assume you are talking getting in on the two-handed action on the saltwater beach scene. My advice would be to think single handed casting with two hands, not spey.

I am a big fan of the Triangle taper lines whether spey or overhead for salt - but these two lines are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

For overhand it's hard to beat the 30' head Wulff tarpon lines. The Bermuda Triangle semi-clear intermediate 12wt is a breeze to cast over 100' on a matched overhand rod like the Atlantis 1111. Both that and the triangle tarpon taper (also 30' head) make fantastic two-handed beach casting lines, shooting the full 105' length to the backing knot.

On the spey side, the Wulff spey is a fantastic spey line, but at 70' or longer heads the grain ratings are much different and you can't put an 11wt spey line on an 11wt AFTMA rated rod. They are floating lines with options to use sinktips, which are OK for some SWFF conditions but certainly not your go-to line for coastal fishing.

I've said this a million times but your results may be different so go for it... but when your success depends on strip retrieving the fly to the leader knot (e.g. coastal fly-fishing) the last thing you want is a 70ft head. You have to sit there and wiggle all that line out after you stripped that super-thick rope into the guides to provoke a strike... or stop stripping at 70' to make another cast. Both options are less than ideal for SWFF.

30ft heads are really good for SWFF when you are stripping the fly to provoke a grab. It's not too far out to start another cast, and easy to roll back out if you stripped to the fly teasing a chaser.

Shooting heads are amazing to cast overhand on a two-hander. Of the factory lines I have tried thus far, I would have to say in warm weather the Triangle Semi-clear intermediate 30' overhand (not spey) line is my favorite so far. It's a little too stiff for cold weather though.

Good luck and I hope you find two-handed bliss on the beach!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
See Dana's evaluation

http://www.speypages.com/speypages.htm
choose line reviews. I have used the 8/9 TT on the old brown 7136 and it is a favorite on that rod. Sometimes you need to take a couple of feet off the front end to get better turnover, especially with heavy flies.

It is a good competitor in the midspey length of lines and the longer versions compete with the Airflo traditional and discontinued RIO accelerator.

It seems to float a little lower in the water than Airflo, RIO or SA lines.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i have a rod that throws a t-t 11 like a windcutter,just a shooting head for overhead work,but alas,i can't reveal the brand as it would only invoke laughter;;shame really,but ,,what is the longest length on these heads,? do they stop at 11 wt.???

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
I agree that the TT lines float lower, but they also have a narrow diameter and cut through the air better than most. I personally love mine for spey casting. Never tried it overhand on the spey rod. I don't like them much as overhand lines on single handed rods.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was unaware (initially) that there was a spey version of the TT; is this the version that you guys are all referring to? To be more clear, can someone tell me exactly which version of the TT would be applicable to this rod, and which line weight it is (if not the standard 8-weight)? Thanks again...

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Lines for 1208-4

You really want two different lines for overhead and spey casting, though with modifications, you can make do with one. For example, RIO recommends a 7/8/9 or a 8/9/10 windcutter for this rod. The lighter if you want a faster rod. By taking the tip 2 out (15'-30') and reattaching tip one you have a lighter and decent overhead line for the same rod. That would be possible with the longer TT, but I am not certain where you would cut and loop that line.

RIO lists the 7/8 and 8/9 midspey for this rod. That means the 8/9 TT would be a little light for spey casting.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's kind of what I thought (re the removal of the mid section of the WC 7/8/9). I'll see if I can test cast that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts