Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several manufactures put out tri-tip lines; RIO has at least two.

Is there one specific one that you folks have found that you prefer over the others?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Three that come to mind are:

the RIO tri-tip windcutter and mid spey (grandspey too?) and the Airflo makes a tri tip line. Suspect Loop may also have this config. out in the market place.

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Multitip Lines,

In a recent Trout & Salmon (Oct or Nov 2003) there was a test of most of the commercially available multitip salmon lines. I think that Loop was quite highly ranked, although the line is no longer available (?), and indeed never has been, at least in Finland. Also Rio lines, especially Windcutter, was deemed as good, but there were some complaints about the price. The Mid-Spey and Grand -Spey were also in the test, but this years Musto Champion Scott Mackenzie, among others, thought that the GS was way too much work, and suitable for rods 16 ft and longer.

Personally, I have cast none of them, but the plan is to try Rios Windcutter with tips and test it against the scandinavian type short sinking shooting heads.

Actually this is quite funny, as people on your side of the pond (US) are going towards the scandinavian system, and some dumb scandinavians (like me) look for the longer heads with tips. What goes around, comes around, or how they say...:D

Lohi

PS. Happy New year 2004 edit:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
loop quattro linesI

Having tried the quattro on the Dee,i liked it enough to buy one,especially after reading Sott Mackenzie`s review in a recent Trout and Salmon magazine. However,i was told initially that this line was out of production. When i told Tightlines Direct [one of Loop`s UK. suppliers] that this line had just received a rave review, they soon agreed to another production run- and to keep the discounted price it was offered at previously! I received my line on 5th Nov.03.
Bill.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Bill and congrats on your first post!

I've always thought it a 'hoot' when a product manufacturer desides ... well, it 'tain't selling, lets bag it.' And shortly there after the "product" gets a rave review read by thousands.

Would pay money for a ticket to watch the 'scramble in the marketing department' after one of those.

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
This Loop Spey line is a bit of mystery to me, as it has never been in any Loop catalogs, or in they web pages, at least to my best knowledge. The first time I heard about it, was when someone stated that is has gone out of production :eyecrazy: Would someone (Dana as a Loop insider?) have more info about this line and its less than short history? The price of this line seems to be very interesting compared to many of the competitors.

PS. Lets hope that the upgrading has not been focused on the price tag :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought the Loop lines, both the Spey line and the Quatro tip, when they were first introduced two years ago. I have used them quite a lot over the last couple of seasons and have been very happy with them. The price of the line in Britain was approximately half the price of the equivalent windcutter lines. I tried to buy some more from Tightlines when they were discounted a couple of months ago but was told that they had sold out. I may try them again if they have done another production run to obtain a spare. Thanks Bill Seviour for pointing this out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts