Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got this e-mail yesterday from my guide up on the Kispiox. Just think, those genetics are now gone. What a shame. While it would be interesting to see what such a fish would look like (i.e. photo documentation), I have no reason to doubt the validity of the claim. It seems ironic to me that a "First Nations" individual would be so short-sighted. Oh yeah, there is a movement that is getting underway to rally against a proposed mining road that may be put in up there, I was hoping to generate some interest and action. I will post all the pertinent info as I get it. TAKE ACTION!

Hello Michael;

I'm answering Jim's email for him during this week that he is doing some
'field work'. He flew into the Sicantine and is hiking 15 kilometers
through 'untouched' country to the Babine. He's doing research for this
Upper Skeena Watershed committee that is taking shape here. There is a
meeting on the 19th here in the Valley to get the ball rolling on the
watershed, so we will know more after that.

Jim will reply when he gets home, probably in another 5 or 6 days.

Salmon fishing has been alright. He took out a client from South Carolina
for Chinook, and the guy landed 11 fish. Other days it's been slow. A
Native fellow caught a 65 lb steelhead in his net day before yesterday.
They ATE it!!!
You take care, and Jim will be in touch.

Joy Allen

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
it could happen.......

Stranger things have happend! However, it would be nice to see some photos. Who's to say that there aren't those few fish out there that statistically would be called "outliers", if any watershed/drainage has them in it, it is the Skeena. I will look into seeing if there were any pictures taken

Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmm

A 65lb steelhead? Would that me similar to the mythical 100lb king? What a monster that would be in the current on a two hander! :confused:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Curious to where it was caught at 65lbs this is a monster of all monsters however it would be an early fish to be caught last week in the Skeena system but again stranger things have happened.......if it did happen I'm still sure he has put in a few years of good genes into which ever river this big guy called home...

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey surfer1...

A 65lb steelhead would be quite a sight. In my opinion the source of your info has a lot of credibility.

It seems ironic to me that a "First Nations" individual would be so short-sighted.
As to the above, I know several "First Nation" people that think those fish were put in the rivers to eat. They believe what we do (C&R) to be "playing with our food". Take care, MJC

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Dear Surfer,

Please don't take everything you read as the truth. I seldom believe what guides say as this is a major form for marketing. Also your action would be far more appreciated within your own county.

thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Island kook says what????????????????

Hey North Islander......thanks for the great advice and keen insight.......or not! I will deal with you in the morning when I have more patience, but be prepared for a thrashing!

Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
62 Posts
watch out for those big waves surfer dude

i assume from your "short sighted" statement about the first nation people that you have not spent much time around native people. they consider it a great disrespect to the fish not to eat their catch. in that they have lived and fished in that country longer than anyone else, i dont think short sighted applies. they are not interested in picture trophies! while i wish they would have released such a fish, ASSUMING IT WAS THAT BIG, i "try" to understand and respect their ways. as far as what north islander said, well, guides as well as fisherman have been known to stretch the truth and to think otherwise is naive. so, bring on that thrashing as we could all use a chuckle. :lildevl:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Metalhead...

Very well put!

·
Registered
134 Posts
>
>It seems ironic to me that a "First Nations" individual would be so short-sighted.
>

I find it ironiic that any of us can complain about shortsightedness after we have systematically destroyed some 95% of the salmonid runs in the lower 48.

G

·
Methinks it ate pretty well regardless of the weight. I thought thats why went fishing. By the way, ALL c&r has a mortality rate, depending on the time on the line, the species, the water temperature and the handling methods. So in reality the more you catch and release the more you kill, so why not eat a few. Nothing is perfect. Max

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.