Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The second week of January, '03, I'll be in Traverse City, MI.

Are there spey rod fishing opportunities worth extending the trip an extra day?

Guides with equipment?

This PNW type wants to experience GL steelhead.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Bob,

You will have to drive one hour south to the Big Manistee river or the Pere Marquette. Big Manistee is closer to Traverse. Best fly guide service for Big M is probably Schmidt outfitters.

However, you should be ware that due to very low stream flows this year our winter runs have been very low. We did receive some rain last week so the streams have risen a little. Big M does have steelies now though and so does the PM.

www.schmidtoutfitters.com

Call Schmidts or email them and see what they have to say.

Ray Schmidt is long time PNW and now GLs steelhead guide and author of magazine articles, etc.. Very knowledgeable.

Oh yeah Big M. traditionally has some of our largest wild michigan steelhead.

Best

Hal

·
Registered
459 Posts
Good luck, and bring your best winter steelheading long underwear, neopremes, gloves, hood, and if you need a good insulated hat let me know I have lots of them.

Big M has been getting reports lately of steelies in the river so they are there, and with the rains and snow melt they got last week who knows it could be back to normal, which means an excellent opportunity for wild michigan steelhead in a beautiful winter setting.

Have a good trip.

PM Out

P.S. You could always bring your regular trout fly equipment and give them a go to since many river sections with excellent trout fishing are open in the winter. Boardman river right in TC is one of them, though check the regs for what is open.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts