Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem traveling and carrying on spey rods on commercial flights? Or, must they be checked because of their length.

Thanks,
David Dornblaser

·
Registered
200 Posts
I used to travel with a 10' 2 piece, and the flight attendants would hang it in the clothing rack in the plane, but I think since 9/11 they are no longer allowed to do that. I now put my rods in a heavy duty pvc tube and ask before boarding to have in placed in with the odds and sods luggage.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I do this a lot and prefer to check them rather than get turned around at the gate to go check it.

However small travel rod cases are OK lately. Spey do not fall into this category.

I pack the rods in a suitable container like a triangular tube, hard plastic rod case, or double-walled rod shipping carton depending on the number of rods.

Sage makes a really nice travel tube 4" up to 63" which should take care of just about anything a two-handed enthusiast would care to travel with, I would think. I plan to get one for my "light travel" case :hihi:

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
I use a KIS tube originally designed for downhill skis that works great. I have been trying to access them again but have had zero luck so I have another one coming in (I think it is a Bazooka case) that looks to be very similar.

But yes, they need to be put in the belly of the aircraft.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have an Abel rod carrier. You do have to check it, but it's bomb proof and is easy to carry and transport. They make a 1 peice rod / tackle bag combo peice but it isn't large enough to accomadate my 3 peice. It would be very nice for 4 peice rods.

Gillie

·
cast,mend,stumble,swear..
194 Posts
Last summer -

on Alaskan Airlines, I was able to take my 9140-4 sage and my multi-piece single handers on board w/ me. I checked with the baggage check in and the folks at the gate, didn't have a problem with me packing those three rods w/ me on the plane. I had them bundled and in a soft sack to keep them together. no problems. My buddy was able to pack his two piece single hander up, and only had to check it in for the puddle jumper from Seattle to Boise. I guess it all depends. All things considered, I suppose its best to pack as if you'll have to check it, and thus using the different cases many here have suggested, then risk having to check a poorly protected rod/rod case... For me personally, I still have this fear of everything BUT my rods making it to my destination... :eek: :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts