Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took a new job and along with it comes some travel to Helsinki around the 2nd week of January for a couple of weeks. I know almost nothing about Helsinki. Any reason to consider bringing fishing gear? Based on the recent weather alone I'm guessing no but would love to be told yes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Brrr....

I used to work for Nokia, and we held our leadership meetings in Espoo outside Helsinki. We would drive past the marinas where boats were frozen hard into the water or sitting on solid ice......I like to fish in cold weather but that aint the place....plus it starts to get dark at around 2:45 pm.....might be fun to meet some local flavor of fly tying though.....bring gloves and silk underwear or you will regret it....:Eyecrazy:

Lots of Reindeer on the menu.....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Traveling to Helsinki for work beginning of Jan. Any reason to bring fishing...

In January will be only 5-6 hours of day light, check out the fly fish stores, here is one
http://www.helsinkispeyclave.com/shop/index.php?language=fi

Let us know if we are missing out on anything they have. Have a good trip

Looks like they do some sea trout fishing in the sea thru the winter though, from articles I have seen

DS

P.s in my 40 years of corporate travel only fished once that was Vancouver, BC and fly fished the vedder in winter. Did find some good fly sops in London and Zurich, and Vancouver. None in Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Milan, or Lisbon. Although in some of these looking for a fly fishing shop was not a high priority if you know what I mean. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
670 Posts
In january we usually have very little to offer as far as open water fishing goes. Just a few rivers that really don't offer a lot at that time. It's usually ice fishing time.

That said, we have had some pretty mild winters and if the waters are open there is some good sea trout and pike fishing close to Helsinki.

Helsinki is a nice city. Just get in to Finnish mood and I'm sure you will have a nice time even though no fishing would be available.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Traveling to Helsinki for work beginning of Jan. Any reason to bring fishing...

thanks guys, you confirmed what I was pretty sure of but wanted to ask just in case.

Have a good trip, look up fly shop locations and hours before you go, I found it interesting to see their tackle and buy a few things like flys, don't expect any great deals in Europe though, this thread reminds me I have some Atlantic salmon flys somewheres I bought in Zurich in 1997 and never used !!!
What a hobby this is!
Cheers, have a good holiday
DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts