Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys - Im in Wyoming near the Idaho line. Will be looking to fish somewhere west of where I am - Maybe late Feb to April once we get some warm days. I brought my 9 wt spey rod with me from the east coast. Would be happy fishing for steelhead , salmon, or trout. What areas should i be looking at? also time-lines for the different species.

Jay

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would get in touvh with Mike at the Red Shed Fly shop (sponsors list) that will point you in the right direction.

andre

·
Registered
200 Posts
Winter Runs

jpeter: Wyoming has as good or better trout fishing than does Idaho so no need to travel for that. As I am sure you are aware it is a nymphing thing in the winter and other than Pyramid there aren't many lakes that are not ice covered. So that leaves you with steelhead.

The steelhead that are inland from the coast in Id, OR & Wa are summer runs and are in pretty tough shape since they have been in the rivers for 6-8 months and are getting ready to spawn. You want to fish for these fish in June-November.

Winter run steelheading is prime in Feb-April and occurs within 50 miles of the coast +/-. Olympic Peninsula rivers, the Skagit, the Sauk, the Umpqua and the Rogue have good winter runs. These are great fish that you can fish to with your spey rod and sink tips. I would suggest a guide for a couple of days to improve your chances.

Have fun.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Probably the closest area for you is the Lewiston/Clarkston area fishing the Clearwater, Snake and the Grande Ronde for steelhead. All of these rivers have fish and fishable flows for the time period you mentioned. I also recommend that you touch base with Mike at the Red Shed Fly Shop in Peck, ID if you are looking for some specific information on this area. Lots of excellent access to water on all three rivers using your car.
Chris

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
In that time frame there is late winter steelhead fishing to be had on the main stem of the Clearwater and the South Fork of the Clearwater both near Kooskia, ID. Those guys are mostly indi fishing with egg flies or ESLs and some are using sinktips. If I were going to fish there I would be using my spey rod to swing marabou steelhead flies between #2 and #2/0 on a type 3 tip. The water can be off colored and those rivers can go out pretty quickly.
Also sometimes the fishing can be like a circus but it can also be productive for LARGE fish.

I'm not sure what fishing there is at that time frame on the Salmon river near Salmon, ID. Maybe Link will chime in with a report.

The steelhead that are inland from the coast in Id, OR & Wa are summer runs and are in pretty tough shape since they have been in the rivers for 6-8 months and are getting ready to spawn. You want to fish for these fish in June-November.
I agree with the above statement, however there is a legal fishery in the area I mentioned should you wish to partake in it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

Thank you all for the info. Today was a warm day and i did see someone fishing the Snake. I was busy getting ready for a camping trip, so i just looked.
Jay

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
South fork Snake

I've fished the South fork of the Snake near Swan Valley, Idaho. There is plenty of broad water and access and you need not hook up with the high dollar drifters unless that's your thing. Caught rainbows and browns to 7 pounds. Beautiful piece of Gods country there!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Idaho Spring Season

You know where the South Fork is, just a few hours west is the Salmon. There's a huge ice jam on it now, completly frozen over for about 15 miles, but it will be open for your time frame and your spey rod's the name of the game! If there's no powder in the forecast then there's lots of Wyo. 22 license plates along the river. Plenty of steelhead from the Yankee Fork to the Middle Fork and they're not all black and scruffed up.

Several hours northwest and you're in the Clearwater Caynon and the big B's, a trip of a lifetime. Idaho sells a 3 day non-resident for @ $35 or a full year for twice that.

Both rivers are beautiful and you need to explore them. There's plenty of campsites, steelhead, hot springs and skiing.

Spring time in Idaho, your skis are on your feet, your spey rod's in your hands and your fartin' though silk panties!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
finally got out

Hey link - thats pretty funny commentary.

Fished the snake (in WY) on sunday. Caught a skunk, but was using/figuring out a new fly line. So I had a nice day. It seemed warm, but had to de-ice the guides every 15 mins.

Will post some ?'s on another page when i get a chance.

jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts