Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a travel spey rod case that can accomodate 2 - 3, 13 - 14', 4 piece rods. Specifically, I am looking for interior room of 43 - 45". Most of the cases that I have seen are too long. I do know of Sage's 4", 43" long travel case and FishPonds' 43" case (which requires the aluminum tubes to be used). Are there any others? The intended purpose of the case will be commercial airline flight.

Thanks,
David

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Custom

I can make one exactly the size you want.
These are cordura covered PVC with handles and foam padding on the ends

Put your rods together and make sure 4" diameter is OK.
No tube just rods in socks.

Determine the max length you want.

It takes about 2 weeks and they cost about $60

·
Registered
121 Posts
You are aware of more sources than I. This would likely not do for the "GQ" traveler, but I made a couple out of 4" PVC electrical conduit. Electrical suppliers have the requisite conduit, ( tubing ), and fittings. I recommend schedule 20, ( wall thickness ), PVC conduit cut to your desired length. A pipe cap cemented, ( glued ), on one end and a "female adaptor" with pipe threads cemented on the other end. A male threaded pipe cap is then used as your removeable cap. Mind you this is all PVC, ( plastic ), and very durable / drop resistant. With this system you would probably have to leave the aluminum tubes behind, but a minimal amount of cloth or bubble pack will keep the rods plenty safe.

Garry

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,532 Posts
David,

For individual rods, I agree that the Harding cases are great. I have 5 of them now and need to pick up another. They also make one that holds two rods but I have little experience with these.

For the use you are asking though, Garry's solution would work well. I believe Kush has a bazooka case (think that's what it is called) that he really likes. I bet he will chime in on this.

'tip

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Actually I am not really happy with the Bazuka II Pro case, it is too long and only holds about 4 rods. The very best rod carriers I have seen are the ski cases. If you Google Sport Tube you can see one - the single ski carrier is excellent.

Many travelling anglers I know have a version of these, Dana, Nobuo, and Bob Pauli come to mind. I intend to get one nyself, as Dana is off on a Tour de Trout maybe Bob can let us know the brand name and where he got it.

As well, Speyman's tube is quite interesting to me - especially if it had a 6" diameter!!

·
loco alto!
3,120 Posts
I use a Plano Airliner, adjustable length and holds 5 rods for $40. It won't withstand being run over, but it will take most any reasonable fall or banging.

The only potential issue with this item - which hasn't be a problem for me - is that I can imagine a TSA employee jamming the telescoping sections together too tightly when closing. I plastered mine with stickers. It has never been checked.

I have a piece of schedule 20 PVC for single handed rods, and man, it is heavy!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I sell Sport Tube products. The S 1 Guide Case measure 5.5"X5.5" inside. It's length is 48" to 83". It weighs 7lbs and sells for $94.95.

Off the subject but if your looking for some excellent hood racks, the Sport Tube "Combi" racks are awesome.

I agree with Kush that Jack's tube does sound pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
K-I-S or KIS rod case began life as a ski case, I am told.

It is sold by Hunters [Hunters Anglers Supply?] in New Hampshire.

KIS stands for "Keep It Safe" and is made in England. Price in the US about $100.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Abel

I have had an Able rod carrier for about 10 years and while it is starting to show some signs of wear, it has been a great product. Two 4" square "tubes" set side by side in a cordura case with foam padding on both ends. A 14' rod is a tight fit but seems to work fine. I have had up to 8 single handed rods in it and would guess it would handle 6 spey rods. Fits in the overhead and I have never been hassled about it as a carryon.

As with all things Abel, it is well made but you pay top dollar.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Thanks Bob,

The KIS case is the best I have seen.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Bob et. al. -

How different are the KIS and Sportube products? They appear to be similar but looks are deceiving and I'd rather take the advice of the experienced angler over glossy photos and ads.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not a spey rod case

I highly recommend blueprint tubes instead of something that looks like it contains an expensive fly rod. They are available in a variety of diameters and can be cut to the right length.
Nobody steals blueprints.

Vinnie in Juneau

·
Registered
201 Posts
I recently saw someone traveling with fly rods packed in a Pelican case which looked like a long, wide briefcase. You simply buy the most appropriate size, then cram-in as many rods with socks as you can. Nearly indestructible, and easy to carry. Ought to last a lifetime.

Definitely on my, " To buy," list.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
There is a company called made2fly who sell wonderful travel cases. They look like the aluminum, hinged locking gun cases for airline travel, but the opening is at the end of the case rather than a side opening so the rods can be slid into the padded interior. Holds 4 rods, lockable and very strong.

Problem is, when I contacted them a few months back and inquired about a case for spey rods they told me they currently were only producing cases that would hold four 9 foot 3 piece rods, but were considering making larger cases if the demand was there. Anyone interested in a bulletproof travel case should contact them and maybe we could generate enough interest for production. Cost on the current line was under $100 I believe. Pics avalable on their website. Google search of made2fly should produce the url.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
David,

Harding and Sons are really thoughtfully designed cases....And extremely well made.

If I need custom cordura cases made, this is where they'll come from.

Leather: From Arne Mason or Bob Cochrane.

Their shop is in a teeny little town on the North Umpqua East of Roseburg.

You've mentioned that you'll be in Oregon this Fall ?

If you send the rods to them they will build custom...Then you can pick up the rods/case and fish Summers on the NUMP....Shoot <> I'll join ya !!!

Just a few hours down the road from Portland.

Meiz

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Juro,
I am not familiar with the sport tube products, but here are some details on the KIS. The KIS is a rectangular tubular case with two pieces, one slides inside the other, with minimum dimension [to prevent rod crushing] set by the position of a supplied padlock. The pieces are locked together by means of a pin, which is secured with duct tape.

I also print a sign on the outside telling TSA how to get inside.

In answer to the opening post, the minimum outsize length is 50", accommodating rod sections up to 46 inches long.

In this minimum size mode, the KIS case will fit inside Cabela's largest bag. This is handy for me, as I travel light. :chuckle:

The first two pix show the KIS case in minimum size configuration, and fitting inside Cabela's largest bag.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The inside dimension of the inner, smaller section is 5-5/8 x 4-7/8 inches [143 x 124 mm].

View of case holding seven spey rods plus wading staff with belt and retractor.

There is room for more rods. I normally use the space for socks, underwear, thermal layers, lines, and whatever else fits.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Views show:
- Pin lock secures two sections together. Place duct tape over this pin to prevent pin movement.
- The case is supplied with a small padlock to set a minimum assembled length. This insures no damage to rods from compressive forces. [Actually the padlock was used to lock the case pre-9/11, and the pin set maximum length. Now the roles are reversed.]
- The overall length of the case is 71 inches with 3-piece, 16-foot rods inside. The case is capable of expansion another 18 inches, but is less rigid when fully expended. An expansion of only 12" provides space for a 19-foot rod [HAMMER!!]. There is a larger size for big rods.
-The last photo shows the case in travel mode, with duct tape over the lock pin and a sign telling airport security how to open.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.