Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using to transport multiple rods, will probably make my own out of PVC but Im sure there are names out there. Tired of multiple rod tubes rolling around in the back of the pickup

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
4" ABS , works great! I was able to get 3 speys and 1 single hand in for a trip to BC this year. Sorry for the messy tying station!

Attachments

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,130 Posts
Sounds a bit like a poll.

I'm in the PVC/ABS crowd. All wrapped in sleeves, rods travel well. In this topic, snug is better than loose.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Pelican gun case or a travel ski case. Pelican is nuke proof and foam lined. I can get 5 rods and 4 reels in it. Ski case use bubble wrap and rod socks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
On Alaska Air, carry on…
Generally carry 3+ rods. They always let me on with them. Sometimes "strapped" to my carry on, sometimes must strapped together.
When the family is all traveling together and there are too many rods, then they get strapped together and checked. 6-7 rods in a bundle have never had an issue on Alaska Air.
Like the ideas proposed for consolidating or putting in baggage. Have heard a snowboard bag is good.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sportube. I used to use a Kis Ski case, but this is no longer being made.
I put a roll of closed cell foam around the rods in their cloth bags to stop them bouncing around and protect the tips, with a couple of web straps to hold it together.
In a car I'd use a 4" PVC/Cordura tube as the Sportube is a little bulky, on a plane definitely the Sportube, I've seen cordura/PVC tubes mashed and mangled with ziptops ripped clean off.

·
Administrator
18,164 Posts
I use a RossTec tube , it holds my 7 Meiser sticks quite comfortably . The tube itself is lined and padded as is the end caps . Very nice carry strap that can be tighten up easily and used as a handle . I'm very happy with it :)

Like you , I hated the multiple aluminum tubes rolling around in the back of the truck . Also , when the wife peeks into my closet , she use to see multiple rods tubes and always mentioned , "Wow you have a lot of rods !!" . She now sees only one tube and when an additional rod comes in , she is none the wiser ... no questions asked :hihi::hihi:

Mike

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tube

when the wife peeks into my closet , she use to see multiple rods tubes and always mentioned , "Wow you have a lot of rods !!" . She now sees only one tube and when an additional rod comes in , she is none the wiser ... no questions asked :hihi::hihi:

Mike
Thats funny but I see how that works out

·
Administrator
18,164 Posts
So far , it's worked out great !!
However , the tube can't hold anymore :(
There are 7 Meiser's sitting in there now and I doubt I'll be able to squeeze in number 8 .
I'll come up with something :hihi:

Mike

·
Administrator
18,164 Posts
Rustybee , does your tube have dividers ??
That would limit the amount of rods in the tube , correct ??
I remember seeing these when I was shopping around for one , but decided on the RossTec because there was no restrictions ... I don't like being restricted to the number of rods I purchase :hihi::hihi:

Mike

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
meiser's

There are 7 Meiser's sitting in there now and I doubt I'll be able to squeeze in number 8 .
I'll come up with something

Mike
Is there by chance a 5wt in that tube? Shopping around for a small two hander and haven't had a chance to call the shop and chat with anyone

·
Administrator
18,164 Posts
Is there by chance a 5wt in that tube? Shopping around for a small two hander and haven't had a chance to call the shop and chat with anyone
The only rod with a "5" in the designation is this one :

It's a 11'7" 5/6/7 with a turbo-tip for Skagit lines .... it's a sweetheart :smokin:
Steve built 4 lines for it and they just melt like butter going through the guides :smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
741 Posts
Rustybee , does your tube have dividers ??
That would limit the amount of rods in the tube , correct ??
I remember seeing these when I was shopping around for one , but decided on the RossTec because there was no restrictions ... I don't like being restricted to the number of rods I purchase :hihi::hihi:

Mike
No dividers for the black ballistic version. For the 6" version I can fit either 4 sage rods in their rod tubes or 7 with just their socks. Only bad thing about them is that they can only hold 15ft 4 piece rods. No luck for 3 piece or 16fters...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts