Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the PNW a lot of the spey guides, at least the ones I've fished with, have carried rods in vertically oriented racks in a drift boat or laying on the top of a pontoon in a cataraft. But a lot of trout fishing from drifting water craft involves casting from the boat. In that instance a spey rod sticking up vertically like a big whip antenna could sure get in the way :whoa:

I recently picked up a used Boulder Boatworks drift boat. Beautiful boat, but the rod storage in it is really limited. I am going to have to come up with a good way to transport at least one TH in addition to my SH rods for a day of fishing. I've been thinking about just buying a long rod and reel case (probably a Harding) and breaking the spey rod down to transport it.

But I thought I'd ask what everyone else is doing to transport their trouty spey rods, somebody probably has a better idea?

·
Bamboo Rod Maker
327 Posts
boat storage

My friends and I learned a long time ago to break down the rods for boat travel. It only takes a minute or so and is a lot safer for the rods. Keep everything inside the boat.

Jerry

·
Banned
879 Posts
Exposed rods are an accident waiting to happen.

I use Harding cases shown in the picture (along with bud). I have cases made where spey rods can be broken down in half (4pc) with the fly still attached and reassembled ready to fish in under a minute. Harding can make single and double rod cases which are lined/divided for more rod protection. I now have them put on zippered end pieces (singles) to where the case can be vented for better drying....

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A truly great idea!! Zippers on the end for better drying out.
Thanks for sharing that!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
ive always just stuck them out the back of the boat, depending on your configuration they should lay low enough that the only way you have trouble is if the tree is taking you out too! the tubes seem like a cool idea on a raft but in a drifter you will know how 7ft tubes in the boat, what to do with those monsters is a whole new dilemma IMO

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Fwiw

As most have discovered, drift boats are not the friendliest critters when it comes to transporting DH rods. The longest measurement on a drift boat is along the gunnels, but securing the long rods in such a manner is seldom satisfactory. The safest way I have found only works with a single seat set up front & rear, and not a whole lot of stuff stored under the forward deck
  1. Hang a bungee cord or similar under the forward deck. Secured at both ends but with enough slack so as not to restrict use of the knee brace.
  2. Fix a couple of ball bungee's on the aft deck. One on each side of the seat.
  3. Rods are positioned, tips forward, along each side of the seats, the length of the rods resting on the benches. Rod tip(s) resting on the forward bungee. Lower butt section(s) secured by aft bungee(s) with reels laying on aft deck.
Yeah, it's a PITA getting in and out, stepping over your rods, not recommended for those who are sure footed/balance challenged. But until drift boat manufacturers recognize the need for a better way, it works for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts