Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im so impressed in general with the caliber of tying and willingness to share on this board...it really motivates me to keep tying and hopefully improving...

I had been tying on shanks so much of late and coupled with my goal of tying a spey fly by the end of winter I figured it was time to get goin on hooks

As with many things , it was hard to jump right in..so I just kinda tied what I generally do shanks on hooks (sparse marabou, pheasant and guinea collars /ostrich wing) ....bleh..over dressed and busy..Not to happy with proportions etc...... I did work on some bodies and Im happy they are hidden lol (1st pic).but by the last I like one and then something clicked (2nd pic)

I thought about tying some dark wets (upcoming steelhead trips..afternoon bite...)...tail, body, hackle....(3 rd pic) ....hmmmm....should I put on a BM wing?..naaah..nevr did it before...im not ready haha..I used tented pheasant rump...

I i liked the bug...I tied a few more..starting to come together...ended up with 8..then did 4 in an olive/black versus purple/black (forgot to take a pic)

Well im gonna keep tying and try BM wings next week

Happy thanksgiving!

I think the Buddha said to swing flies truly for just a moment is to live forever

Attachments

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The fleet and recipe

Hook..AJ 1.5
Tail..Clump pheasant
Body..Mylar
Rib..Black sparkle braid twisted
Thorax...black grape estaz
HAckle..Black HAt Feathers
Collar..Guinea
Wing..Tented Pheasant rump
Eyes..JC

Thanks for looking..brrrr the forecast is cold...Ill bring some bourbon and a will to fish lol

D

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
Here fishy-fishy-fishy-fishy ....
Nice work David , these are as fishy as they come and will hunt well for you .
Can't go wrong with Pheasant Rump wings and JC nails :smokin::smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The green in the body complements/ mimics the natural iridescence in the pheasant wings nicely. Nails give it that extra pop. I'd have to imagine those will get a sniff. Nice stuff !

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
There ya go eh! Damn fine looking work man. Really well done.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Super flies!
I think you chose the perfect wing with rump instead of the BM for these. Loving the black too.
Handful of confidence right there brother.

J

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Man when you jump in you jump in with both feet! Excellent work on those bad boys!

Love the first ones with the JC those will be killer on any river!

Nice work thanks for sharing.

KC

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
These are killer! Seriously, don't doubt yourself for a second! Your work is always second to none and although people say how hard BM is all the time I found it pretty easy to work through the difficulties and get it set right, putting it on as a roof... Well that's a whole different ball game! Watch mcphail mount one, he makes it look stupid easy but it really is after you do a few! Have fun and share the the journey!
-josh

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
I love the second picture the most. Great ties, all of them, but the second pic I gravitate towards. It's kind of a cross-over Summer/Winter Spey.

Killer flies as always.

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Over the top work going on here. Perfect balance in all aspects. Your blend of natural materials with the Mylar body gives the pattern just the right pop. Fish them with confidence.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you

I appreciate all the comments immensely
I fished pulaski yesterday and ...
4 grabs
2 hooked
1 landed ..8/9 lbs
1 lost welll over 15 lbs n dime bright...never had a chance ....
Lots of fun!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts