Spey Pages banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't tie a lot of shank flies, and recently I used Rio Wirebite (?) to attach the trailing hook. It seems to hold the hooks at a very strange angle as it's very rigid. I'm not sure how this will affect hook ups but we'll hopefully soon find out.

My question is, what is your favorite material to attach a trailing hook with, and why?

·
Pupil of the river.
408 Posts
Can you post a picture of the strange angle. Using a fairly stiff wire isn't a problem. It keeps the hook in line with the fly. If it sags then you can miss the strike.

·
Oncorhynchus tshawytscha
118 Posts
Trailing hook

I have tried all kinds of trailer hook connecting materials (dacron, spiderwire, bite guard tippet, heavy mono, shooting line, etc) and my favorite by far is Senyo Wire. I think it holds the hook at a good angle and has just the right stiffness. I wil say that all my 65lb powerpro or spiderwire trailer hook flies have never failed me and have hooked fish from the Salmon River to the Kispiox. Try a lot and see what you like. Adding some super glue to the powerpro or dacron with stiffen it as well. Good luck!

·
Oncorhynchus tshawytscha
118 Posts
Hook eye

Forgot to mention it also depends on how you thread the loop, plus eye orientation and style. I use octopus style hooks with an "up eye" style and thread the loop through the same way every time as with stiffer material it changes the hook orientation.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Wire is cheap but if it is not stainless steal we can have not so nice surprise.
I think that flat shooting line 50lb is the best option .

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Darned interesting comment.

Wire is cheap but if it is not stainless steal we can have not so nice surprise.
I think that flat shooting line 50lb is the best option .
Have little experience using a fly with a trailing hook (just no real need here on the upper Rogue River) but your comment really catches my attention. What kind of 'surprise?'

Fred

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

Here are a couple shots of what I'm running into. I'm not even sure if it will be a problem, like I said. I don't tie many flies like this....yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A wide shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hey there BC bound
Slick shooter or frogs hair in 50 # works great but your wire isn't the problem , the hooks are they look like strait skank tube hooks you need a turned eye hooks for stingers , Hope this helps .
Tyler

·
Pupil of the river.
408 Posts
Up Eye vs. Straight Eye

A wide shot.
If you had the up eye octopus hooks, they wouldn't tilt like that. I think there's a movement toward the straight eyes as you have, but I don't know how to get them lined up straight. I think they work well on tubes, but not as trailing hooks.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah! Okay, I have some Octopus ones laying around. I'll give them a try.

Thanks fellas, great help.

Now if I could find the time to fish the bloody things. Three weeks from now I hope. Ha!

Cheers.

·
Knee Deep
1,250 Posts
Hey Scott,

I fish a few trailers. Just grab the hook and bend the wire to get the angle you want. Even an Octopus will sit funny, initially. I've never broken a loop...knock on wood.

Take care,

Tony

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Hey Scott,

I fish a few trailers. Just grab the hook and bend the wire to get the angle you want. Even an Octopus will sit funny, initially. I've never broken a loop...knock on wood.

Take care,

Tony
Best keep knocking on wood, I have twice now. Well one broke, the other pulled out (early days tying, totally my fault).

As for what to use in terms of hooks and loops, I too am very sold on the Senyo intruder wire and Octopus hooks. If I have no Senyo wire, I have used a loop of stiff mono. This worked out ok, but for me it wasn't stiff enough and I would likely buy another spool of something heavier like 50lb test or something.
I've had a few intruder type flies from various swaps that came with braided loops and such that were not stiff, and I have had more issues threading a hook in them, and getting hooks fouled in the fly or leader with some frequency. None of those have ever been an issue with the Senyo wire. Big fan of having the hook loop be nice and stiff to keep it where I want it until a fish hits.
JB

·
Registered
517 Posts
Have little experience using a fly with a trailing hook (just no real need here on the upper Rogue River) but your comment really catches my attention. What kind of 'surprise?'

Fred
simply loop can break especially after some usage and stay in box.
plastic covering disappeared in place where loop goes via eye of hook.
This damage is even not visible but enough for corrosion .
simply I had completely the same idea because is possible to buy wires in very nice colours but simply my much more experienced friend told me that it is not as trustable as flat shooting .

and lost fish due to save a few $ whet tip especially from Europe cost not less is totally stupid. Because most flat shooting is in yellow or orange I put is in to ping dye together with fur material and I reach good enough colour result :)

·
Recently Spey'd
816 Posts
Senyo is great but I've had excellent results from coated wire.
I prefer that any day to flat braid...my .02

1 - 18 of 18 Posts