Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know a link where i can see some of the "Big Guys" chucking the record breaking(or close to) casts?? I really cant imagine a line being thrown that far(let alone doing it myself) and would like to see some footage.
Thanks lads.
Salmon Chaser

·
Registered
12 Posts
"Way's Little Spey Site" has footage of Scott MacKenzie at the CLA speycasting championships. Think there's a link to it on the Red Shed Fly Shop
website.

Gerard:)

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Happened to me too. I was actually gonna ask the same question.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The longest distance ever covered?

I've looked through many sources (Spey Pages, GGCCA bulletins, FF&FT, claves and competitions reports)to find any info about distance fly casting records. And got a litlle bit confused with all I'd gathered. On one hand reports say of some world's records made, on the other hand some records are still held by, for example, "...Polish caster(72 metres)-single hand distanse; and the two handed fly event record is 97 metres. Steve's(Rajeff)American record is 290 feet for the double hand fly and 238 feet for the single..."(FF&FT Feb.2005., p.33).
Inspite of difference in American and World contests-what are the records still held both in single and double hand casting?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Tournament casts

The world record for tournament speycasting is held by Scott Mackenzie, this is speycasting with an angle change and not just straight down the line casting.
The best in the world right now is Gordon Armstrong, unbeated in all the major tournaments around the world in 2006, both these guy's are on this site so contacting them might help, i think to set a world record cast it has to have so much of an angle change, size of rod, line diameter, ect.
Gordon.

·
Registered
886 Posts
spey machine said:
Arn't some of these........casts with a two-handed rod over head,rather than spey cast?
Not in the Spey Casting Competitions. No

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Rajeffs records are all overhead with a two hander not spey casting. He use an 18' rod (pole) with a shooting head and mono running line to achieve those distances. Very impressive to see in person but not fixed anchor casting.

In our member video section there is some footage of Ian Gordon and Gordon Armstrong. Also a couple of our very own Kush 'the caster' casting some very long reserve snake rolls.

-sean

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Spey casting final of the Emerald World Masters competition last September was filmed by Sky television, I believe it was shown on sky sports several times.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone know a link where i can see some of the "Big Guys" chucking the record breaking(or close to) casts?? I really cant imagine a line being thrown that far(let alone doing it myself) and would like to see some footage.
Thanks lads.
Salmon Chaser
There is a DVD now available showing highlights of the 2006 EWM and ICSF world championships. Check out www.2006worldcastingchampionships.ie.

Gordon won the spey final with a cast of nearly 190ft which is very good considering there was no wind assistance.

Gerard:)

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your suggestions lads,,much appreciated.
SC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts