Spey Pages banner

Tough going on the upper rogue

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  bbct91 
#1 · (Edited)
Been on the upper Rogue in Shady Cove all week. Fished pretty hard in the afternoon and evenings and not even a grab. I've talked to quite a few people who are telling the same story. Seems strange because the fish are here but it seems like they've gotten lock jaw, at least for the guys swinging. I have seen a couple of guys hook up on nymphs. Also today seems to be the first day of the season that fishing with bait is allowed, there must be 5x the boat traffic today as there was the previous days this week. I think I'm gonna give it one more afternoon up here and then head down to the Klamath to try my luck down there, I've heard good things. Although I also was hearing good things about the Rogue until I got here. :wink2:

#2 ·
If your heading south can always check out the Trinity as well. Fish start running a little later there than on the Rogue. For me the Rogue has been most consistent in September into early October. Steelhead fishing is absolutely unpredictable though. Only takes one fish to make a day better. Good luck

#3 ·
How are you fishing the upper Rogue? Mono leaders? Drys? Sink tips?

Was talking to a guy moments ago at the bar, and he said they were picking some up by going deeper with T-11, and already using intruders from Shady Cove, Takelma, to Dodge Bridge! I know, when the river is as low as it is (I walked across the Rogue River today at TouVelle), deep can mean 3-4'. But hey, I'm just going by what the guy sitting next to me was saying.

Fished the Klamath Sat/Sun/Mon - river is in good shape, but we were only picking up trout. Others who where dredging with roe were picking up chromers. That's not me.

Good luck

Reactions: Hardyreels
#4 ·
Oh how I wish I were down there Bob, the weather has taken a nasty turn here and unless we get one more warm front I may be done. I fished this past Saturday but like you I caught rainbows and it was like a stop at Subway because for me it was Foot Long day..……………. I didn't buck the weather last year because the late season of 2016 saw me catch two things. I got some great steelhead but I also got some serious frostbite.

Enjoy what you have fellows,

Ard

#5 ·
Yeah, maybe take a trip to the Klamath. Two weeks back on the stretch both above and below happy camp - tons of half pounders and the occasional (and welcome) runs where we swung up several adults (each) in less than an hour in certain spots. But it is true, the ways of the lock jaw are hard to fathom, and info like that seems to become purely inspirational almost in less time than it takes to get there.

#6 ·
I'm only swinging. Based on the report from Ashland Fly Shop I went with a T8 tip. I started with T11 but was getting hung up in most runs. As far as flies I fished small - medium intruder style files, mostly in black or olive but I tried some pinks and purples too, some really flashy and some with hardly any flash.

I fished really good looking water from the dam all the way down to Touvelle.

In Ashland now on my way down to the Klamath. Hopefully I can make it happen tonight or tomorrow morning because I've got to make it back to Utah and may not get to step into steelhead water again until next year.

#7 ·
I fished the Klamath just above Happy Camp at the beginning of Oct. I was swinging the whole time. Switched to trout spey rod and had good time. I would say that I did not connect to and pods of fish. I saw a few people bobber fishing connect with good fish - by good fish, I mean the guide was out of the boat with a net. No such luck for me. Lots of salmon rolling. A couple guys at the inn fished with a guide out of Orleans and caught 3 bright salmon bouncing roe. Said they had a hard time keeping steelhead off the roe...

#10 ·
I recognize the spot the second picture was taken from. As a boatless person that spot has treated me well. :) Unfortunately I will be adding to the crowd this afternoon and tomorrow. Oh well, there are worse ways to spend the day. :)

As an aside, what is the easiest way to get a California one or two day license for Steelhead?

Cheers,
Chris

#13 ·
Sunked

Well I fished all of the spots I know Friday evening and all day Saturday, but didn't get a bite. Wonderful weather and not as many people out on the river as I expected. Low, cold, and clear water is making things tough.

Speaking of CA license, I was told you could also buy them at the Sportsman's warehouse in Medford.

Cheers,
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.