• Underhand

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scenario:

3 ft crystal clear water flowing medium to fast paced, Its dark !!.
Fish are always spooky. We are talking Bass in the salt here, but all your thoughts are still very relevant.

Best and safest cast for a right-hander on flow right to left with no wind, wind on right shoulder, and wind on left shoulder. Safety obviously being an issue and the quietest delivery of the fly paramount.

I have sort of ruled out the double as being by its very nature too noisy.
Overhead not possible due to high rocks behind.

Tips for timing in low light and near blackness needed.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Different than offered in the survey, but

I use a variation of the Snap-T that is really a Skagit cast. When I'm fishing this way, it's with 35-45' heads. Casting right handed off right shoulder, I use high rod lift followed by downward stroke. The high lift and solid downstroke gives a clean pickup and sends the line back. Splashdown is beside and behind me-- I limit its distance by poking my rod tip straight out as far as I can. I only need to be about 30' offshore. Loop formation is normal except that I tend to make my backstroke a bit lower than I would with a longer belly. It's okay to have some extra anchor if you're using a slightly heavy head. This cast is not too timing sensitive except that you don't want to waste the energy you put into the D/V loop. Hope this helps. It lets me fish in places I can't backcast with a one-hander too.

Best o' luck,

Carl

1 - 2 of 2 Posts