Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just caught the tail end of a news broadcast; appears, due to very low salmon runs, the 'off shore' fishing season may be bagged out completely. News obviously was aimed at commercial fishing, but a/the ban may cover sports fishing also.

Anyone have current info on this?

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Fred,

If this is true, I of the opinion that it is about time such mixed stock fisheries (commercial and sports) are curtailed since they are indiscriminent in whether the fish caught (and bonked) are from threatened/endangered stocks or healthy stocks. I can hear the moaning and bellyaching already though it this is the case.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick correction on my orig. post. Apparently the 'ban' may be off the coasts of California and Oregon.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ban....

Fred,

I'm going off of memory here and I just briefly skimmed the article but there was an article the other day in the Bend Bulletin that was talking about the ban you're referring to. Scientists said that they are estimating 6,000 less salmon than the 29,000 minimum return for the Klamath river. So, one of the options is to shutdown the commercial season from Cape Falcon to somewhere on the northern California coast. That's all the info I have, I'll try to find the article and report some more info.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
What they need to do is to prohibit any harvest.
If this could be done in Alaska why not in lower 48?
When Yukon and Kuskokwim River in Alaska had very poor return of Kings and Chums ( Silvers were not affected) in 200-2001 they closed down commercial fisheries and limit subsistence fishing without effected sport fishing . Sport fishing harvest wan ban at that time.
The last few years were great for Kings and Chums, commercial fishing is still almost not existing, and only allowed later in the season when escapement goals are achieved.
All fish coming to Yukon and Kuskokwim drainage is 100% wild and sport fishing for silvers and resident fish ( grayling and rainbow) was not effected at that time (2000-2001)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
economics

i'm somewhat familiar with a couple south coast(oregon) towns,,and they need the dollars,,yes,good old american dollars,as deflated and thin tho they may be those communities depend on tourist offshore anglers as well as estuarian/upriver folks,so,not intending to swipe at anyone but a clap of the hands to attemp a focus on the big picture may be in order???,now i have a pal from Alaska and he stated to me`they just `make' fish' the hatcherys,they make as many fish as possible and they are not finclipped you do not know if you catch `wild' or hatchery stock,,now what's with that?,,and the salmon from the Rogue here(and maybe a stream or two north) are `lefty's' not `righty's' in other words the salmon go south/return from the south when they leave as smolt,,i'm also barely familiar with salmon fishery's in the bay area of Cal.,,,are those fish from oregon?,,there are manymany questions here,,at least for me,oh yes!!!here's another twist to the tale of woe,,i met a young lad,native american who netted a years worth of income off the mouth of the Klamath in a short time period,was bragging about it,and that was just one person:Eyecrazy: ,and this was after the die-off,two summers back in fact,:eek: ,so,,no matter how few return from salt,,how many get past the `Native' nets????????,like i said manymany questions,,who has the answers:confused:

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Southeast Alaska has hatchery enhancement, b/c of commercial fishery and very small native subsistence harvest.
However in Yukon and Kuskokwim drainage there is no any hatchery enhancement in part b/c very low level of commercial fishing and quite heavy native subsistence harvest which is rather small to total escapement rate. Native people insist on wild fish and policy in that region is : No1 escarpment, No2 subsistence harvest and any commercial fishing is only optional!!!!!
I happen to spend lots of time in mid-lower Kuskokwim tributaries, and know few biologists from Interior Alaska....

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
well

i never intended to make anyone mad(not that your post makes me beleive you ARE mad,it doesn't),but all the twists and turns of the world of the anadromous fish witch,we(mankind) seek to `enjoy'in various ways,yet,,the equasion always remains to be finalised with the two species afformentioned(man/fish for those reading too fast:tsk_tsk: ) so intertwined we cannot be `undone' as `economies',`communities' depend on the return of these wanderers of salt and fresh water,,and certainly one cannot deny the importance of that!,it's recognizing the various levels at witch we,as man can be allowed to harvest as well as help build stocks with supplementation without destroying what `balance' we've come to rely on,many questions many theories,,so little time for answers,,this is why i never ever bad mouth the people in sate`fisheries' departments;they can only do so much in a day and i STILL believe that man CAN help at least preserve what we have in the Pacific Northwest,like i've stated=would the great pacific northwest be nearly so great without it's great fish!??? and fisherys,i think not!:tsk_tsk:,,i'm well aware that hyperlinks are not allowed,but,you CAN do a search,`Curry' ,,,,,then add `Pilot' without the hyphens,plus .com(of course)it's the local newspaper at the coast here(online version),it's front page news,they're going to fold up and die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
so the arguement goes: the coastal communities are one with the fish, therefore, allow fishing. humm!!!!!!

protecting anadramous fishes has taken a back seat to virtually everything else all along the pacific coast. that includes but is not limited to forest products, land development, tourism........

if we accept the premise that anadramous fishes are critical to health of the coastal communities, then the obvious question presents itself: why haven't these communities been the vocal champions of these fishes over the years?

my solution is to start thinking about rigging for tuna. with global warming raising the ambient temperature of the planet, the upwelling of the deep cold ocean waters not happenning and government turning a blind eye and a deaf ear, its time to think about warm water species in our PNW. hey i understand the humboldt squid made an appearance in puget sound last summer, is this the harbinger?????

·
JD
3,641 Posts
from the Curry Pilot

Two Brookings residents – Jim Welter and Bob Crouch – will be traveling to an upcoming PFMC meeting in Seattle to lobby for as much fishing as can be had. "We're trying to salvage anything (read everything) we can out of it," said Crouch, who will be representing the Klamath Management Zone Fisheries Coalition, a group that pushes for coastal fishing interests.

Then there are the farmers, who want every gallon of water coming down the river for irrigation.

Procrastinate (*****, fight, and do nothing) long enough and the problem (the fish) will go away. Read cease to exsist.:mad:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
of course

we could drop a few bombs here and there along the coast,cut down the population a bit,,,might possibly open up more angling oportunities for others that don't live in the coastal areas and maybe plant soy in the craters,all natural,no fertilizers allowed and of course no vehicles,we'd have to use burros to haul the harvest,no knives or mechanical harvesting tools used of course,(no need to burn energy or run manufacturing facilties,just use your bare hands)totally environmentally sound practices:D (i'm sure they'd have a GREAT401K for the workers):razz: (heck if you are going to `rail' against your fellow man,why not DO IT RIGHT:chuckle: ,),,,remember=in MY world,it's not about YOU and `I',or even if `I' catch one more fish,it's the watershed#!,:tsk_tsk: ,but i will not deny my fellow inhabitant of this planet his `right' to exist,ride in the front of the bus,or feel anger because our views are not identical,every male member of my family fought for that with blood sweat and tears,it's called the STARS AND STRIPES:smokin: now i'm ~gone~ on this thread `cause,this `aint gettin'itdone!!!!:saevilw:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
====================================

done!,,keep reading all the posts over and over,maybe you'll get it,maybe not,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:roll:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Keeping it civil

Don't make me call the Hall Monitor boys! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
no worries sinktip, i was just really trying to understand what hammer was trying to say.

so far i get: i want a fish for dinner; folks make their living doing lots of different things along the coast.

yeah, so? point is, for me, waiting until the fish are in crisis is a bit late to be complaining about the fishing opportunity being slammed shut. 'we' have had decades to observe the decline of the anadramous fishes but 'we' have chosen to allow this to occur. at some point 'we' have to pay the piper and it sounds as if coastal oregon and california have reached the debt due limit.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
fish for dinner!

where!,,,i love a salmon dinner,and smoked salmon with my mid-morning coffee,smoked salmon crumbled over a salad for lunch,,and of course,,extra salty/long brined amoked salmon with my ale in the evening,:saeek: ,but,,i will substitute wild steelhead when i can get it,only the hens though:chuckle:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Greg,

I do understand. While I'm not up on the North of Falcon process to the extent I once was, it seems like they are taking a conservation standce and I support commend them for it.

Hammer,

I know you are kidding but in some areas, like mine, those are fighting words. :tsk_tsk: No problem on the PM vent, glad to be of help.

'tip

1 - 20 of 31 Posts