Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed down to the Toronto area this fall and don't know where to fish. Not expecting A-list spots but any river that is swingy would be appreciated. I'm totally new to the southern Ontario spey game so if anybody knows of any good patterns i would very much appreciate it. I'm used to swinging big hobos and intruders for Lake Superior steelhead but i heard southern ontarios are a bit shy on large profiles. is smaller better? Natural colors or bright and flashy? Any bit of information helps. Cheers!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good rivers to swing in the Toronto and southern Ontario area are Credit river, Grand river, Maitland river and Saugeen river. Check the Regulations on which part of the river is open before you go. Always a good idea to call a local fly shop to get more info. As far as patterns fish a fly you have confidence in. Ontario steelhead are Not shy, fish a bigger fly in high and stained water and smaller in clear lower water. Get ready to get low holed by hundreds of centerpiners in the most popular spots, but you can find good water to fish. Hope that gets you started.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good rivers to swing in the Toronto and southern Ontario area are Credit river, Grand river, Maitland river and Saugeen river. Check the Regulations on which part of the river is open before you go. Always a good idea to call a local fly shop to get more info. As far as patterns fish a fly you have confidence in. Ontario steelhead are Not shy, fish a bigger fly in high and stained water and smaller in clear lower water. Get ready to get low holed by hundreds of centerpiners in the most popular spots, but you can find good water to fish. Hope that gets you started.
thank you for the info. Yeah, I hear the fishing pressure is pretty high on popular rivers

·
Registered
90 Posts
I live on Lake Superior, worked in southern Ontario last fall, near the grand. Went to the river on several occasions, waded thru the immigrants catching carp, suckers or whatever else bit. Fishing??????????????? Couldn't bring myself to even take a cast. Georgian bay I am sure would be better. Glad I lve on superior.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,177 Posts
No fish down here. Don't waste your time. Stay home. I guess Toronto would be OK.

Seriously though, the Grand is good but you have to get away from the people. It's easy to do with lots of places to go. The fair weather fishermen go away once the weather changes. Stay out of the parks and away from "easy" access. If you search through my posts I have several pics of the areas I visit. No one else in the pics there. Occasionally I come across a fellow swinger and we share the run but it's not often. The T.O. area can be real busy and there isn't a lot of courtesy in most cases. Not all though.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I highly recommend fishing the same patterns as you normally do. The lake ontario fish are of good size for great lakes. They commonly eat 3 to 4 inch alewives ( Food of Trout and Salmon in Lake Ontario note I didn't conclude this from this study alone. The sample for steel is very small but its just a small citation) and its very common to catch them trolling massive 6 inch trolling spoons. The gear guys commonly catch them on 3 to 4 inch stickbaits,spoons,spinners etc In rivers ive caught some good fish on a 6 inch rhea intruder. I put a Pic of one i specifically remember. Though i don't fish them quite that long often. When i was a beginner i'd even fish them in clear water and take the odd buck. Coming from a single egg and 4 test float fishing. I thought it was the most amazing thing in all of fishing lol, so i kept fishing massive bugs. The average 3-4 inch intruder will do fine in the erie and huron tribs mentioned above too. Obviously things like very low and clear are exceptions.

Lake erie is known for having smaller fish but just look at greg senyo's flies. Many like the a.i, pred scandi, etc hit 4 inches

I can also send you pics and video's where our fish have big flies hanging out of their mouth.

each river can have its own nuances i.e one that holds many sculpins,goby etc so its good to fish them in the winter. When the fish have been seeing them and eating them for months. The water shed reports are insanely detailed and include this type of data. Another is lake erie fish eat more emerald shiners so there used when a trib connects there.
Though this to me this is more important to the local. Imo Fishing those small nuances just banks a few for more fish through the year. For the local who understands these things vs a person showing up fishing say a hobo spey is PROBABLY only a few % difference i.e 10% to 11 kinda thing but i admit again its totally anecdotal. Steel just seem to be willing to eat anything if you think about all the flies,baits,lures etc. These nuances are often hard earned and not always given away over the web.
The niagara is also a good river to spey but imo its one of the most unfriendly for newcomers in all the great lakes.

EF is right Some of the talk about crowds sometimes can be misleading. Picking the most popular river on the weekend and fishing the most well known pools will. During the height of the salmon run will lead to terrible fishing. The reputation is definitely deserved, But you find so many times where your alone. With even deer running by! The photo here is on a busy river and it was a holiday! note it was crazy busy behind but normies (weekend warriors who just aren't into it that much.) don't like to walk or the cold rain etc

When you come, your very welcome to fish with me.
6 inch.jpg
it.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts