Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10. Just discovered my other rods were all made in France.

9. Why do you think they call them "spay" rods? All proceeds from sales go to Humane Society for spaying poor, neglected, stray cats.

8. Weird new state regs require different rod for each day of the week.

7. I wanted one rod for each letter in "I LUV YOU."

6. Broke first six in onstream fight with roughnecks who claimed I had no right to wear a shirt emblazoned with the phrase, "I have the greatest wife in the history of the world."

5. Wanted you to feel less guilty about buying your 39th pair of shoes.

4. Once I get this rod I plan to sell the other six and remodel our kitchen with the profits. Is that such a crime?

3. Multiply 7 times 245 and you get exactly the number of days we've been married. What are the odds on that!

2. Therapist says aversion therapy for spey-fishing addiction will only work if I have so many rods that I get sick of them.

1. First six rods are corked and the guilt is killing me.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
PERFECT!!!!!

Cut, copied and e mailed to the WifeType. Double Darn!!!, should have re-done the math for #12.

:devil:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Naah ... get it right!

The way to do it is to play on her sympathy. Women are suckers for sympathy.

Just come back from fishing, and be very quiet. When she asks you if you had a good day, just say "Yeah, I guess it was OK" very quietly and go sulk. No TV or anything, just sit there quietly, looking into space. She will wonder what's wrong. After a while, she will come out and ask what's wrong. Just say, quietly, "Nothin'." At this point, she will really be worried, and try to pry it out of you. (Wives hate this treatment.)

Just keep playing it cool for a couple of days, following the same routine. She will start worrying about another woman, etc., etc. They just can't stand not knowing what's wrong.

Then relent, and come out with, "The old favorite spey rod has let me down again. It just is too old, and has worn out, but I just hate to spend the money to get that new XXX rod, yyy weight. I just don't know.... Let's not talk about it anymore."

Keep up the routine for a few more days. Finally, she will say something like, "Why don't you go down to the rod shop and check out new ones. See if there is anything you really like."

At this point, DON'T jump and run to the rod shop. Just keep moping for another day or two. She MAY even drive you to the rod shop, as she will be getting desperate. If she goes with you, don't appear interested until you spot the rod you want. Then, pick it up, test it, really perk up, and say something like, "Wow. Then say, very sadly, "But I don't know if we can afford it". She will actually encourage you to get it.

That works for another rod. Different equipment requires a different approach, depending on what it is. Oh, and don't try this every month - she will wise up very quick.

BobK:smokin:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
What you really need is a wife who fly fishes. Then all you need to do is tell her you want another rod, just make sure you have the cash to pay for it. And when she tells you she wants another rod, get it for her ASAP. Afterall, what's good for you is good for her when it comes to fishing rods.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Bobbie, I can tell you've never been married to

a true Redhead who spent most of her life in Sr. Management.

Nice try ... no Ce-Gar.

Should have added: for this 'picture' you STOMP IN saying things that would make a Chief Petty officer "blush ...."

then you may get attention.:hehe:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I dunno, Fred-

Since I was in the Marines, I just learned my "grammar" from "Gunney" Seargeants. (We used to say things that would make a CPO retch.)

As for redheads, (my old weakness), they are generally the "softest touches" of all - but just don't get 'em riled up. I guess I have to teach you about using psychology. (Unless you got caught once trying to use it on her - then you're "dead meat".)

I married a brunette - but she still has that combination of Scotch/Irish/English temper. Just remember - you gotta do the act with a straight face, and be sincere! Done right, it works every time! And timing is everything!

BobK:hehe:

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Diamonds are the Speycasters best friends

Every time you want a new rod just buy some diamonds.
If you are working on Number 8 Speyrod just get here something with 8 diamonds in it.
Did it for my 20th and it has worked ever since work.
Now I have shop so what are a few more rods for the try rack.
Remember diamonds and Speyrod you can’t go wrong.

Fred
Be married to the same true Redhead of 35 years and diamonds work every time.

M

·
0 Posts
I simply appeal to her nesting/collecting instinct - "It's part of a set and if I don't get it the rest have little value".

mmm

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
I've found it effective to continually tell my wife about the new rod that I want. She's learned that the only way I'll shut up is for me to actually get the damn thing :chuckle:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Diamonds are the Speycasters best friends

A "Dentist" whose name I won't name (you're safe Malcom??) has the same idea. But he's in a very different 'income bracket.'
:hehe:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts