Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
I will be moving there when and if I retire. Been going to Montana for years and years and even have a place there in Big Sky. I just want to fish and be left alone.

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
you dont actually live in montana until you spend 5 entire winters here.
and this one doesnt count.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Second good laugh in one day!

you dont actually live in montana until you spend 5 entire winters here.
and this one doesn't count.
This man knows of 'where of he speaks.':saeek: It will take you about a year to figure out where you can fuel up ... few and very far between!

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I provided services to the rural schools (1 to 3-rooms) as a speech-language pathologist in southwest MT. I also went to isolated ranches to provide services for young children. Fred, you mentioned the distance between gas stations. The same is true between the rural schools. I put 30,000+ miles on my car/year. Loved the job ... the best one I ever had even though pay was low (#11 reason why NOT to live in MT).

And Mike, you are so right about winter!! I remember when around Christmas 1983 it hit -51; Bannack reported having -60s. The headline was 90-proof spirits do not freeze if left outside. November 1985 was another cold one, but not as bad. A week before Thanksgiving, I flew out of Butte to attend my national ASHA convention in Washington, DC. It was a shy under -30 when I left Butte. In the 80s when I arrived in DC. When I registered at the hotel, I had to show my driver’s license. When the receptionist gave it back to me, she said, “Now I understand” as I was trying to discretely wipe sweat off my face. During my DC stay, the TV weatherman always began the report: “Be glad you don’t live in Montana …”

That all said, powder skiing is fantastic ….. shhhhhh

·
Administrator
2,471 Posts
Montana

There's a reason Montanan's badge their rigs with a bumper sticker that states in no uncertain terms..."Welcome to Montana. Now Go Back Home And Tell Your Friends How Much It Sucked"...;)

Have been here 18 years and my kids were all born here. About broke my heart when we went over 1M in population. The key is to move here to become a Montanan...not the other way around. Folks are far more welcoming.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Treasure state

Great place to live, grew up along the Big Horn in south east MT and now reside in Western MT, did some traveling in my younger years and hit most counties in the state and do agree that if you pick your home you can be as far away from civilization as you want. MT has everything from Sturgeon to bull trout...can you go wrong?...well no steel

·
Registered
411 Posts
If I could live anywhere in the US, it would be Montana. Simply for the fact that I get along better with horses and cows, than I do with people...... Traveled it quite a bit. Love the Big Sky country.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Western MT is awesome, although a lot of hippies seem to have moved into the Missoula area. I could do without them.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
If not working on a ranch makes you a fraud, there are lots fraudulent Montanans.

·
Administrator
2,471 Posts
Montana

If not working on a ranch makes you a fraud, there are lots fraudulent Montanans.
Lots of non ranch working Montana transplants...me being one of them. The problems "Montanan's" have with newcomers is that many times the folks who have decided to relocate here from the city or metropolitan life after experiencing the beauty of Big Sky country...decide it's time to make Montana feel like their old home. AKA...Bozeman is often referred to with a smile or smirk as BozAngeles. Great town that has seen significant change over the last 15 years. Missoula and Kalispell have seen the same to differing degrees. Eastern MT, where I live, not so much as it's not the postcard Montana that many see when they visit...and we're good with that! I hear North Dakota is nice;););).

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Mainers feel the same thing about transplants (or say they do, anyway.) Around here, you're not "from Maine" unless you can document native status going back seven generations. On both sides. I only qualify on one, so I am variously known as a "flatlandah," "Ma$$hole," or "wunnah them folks from away." What's worse, I live south of Route 2, so I'm not even worthy of claiming the one half! :chuckle:

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lots of non ranch working Montana transplants...me being one of them. The problems "Montanan's" have with newcomers is that many times the folks who have decided to relocate here from the city or metropolitan life after experiencing the beauty of Big Sky country...decide it's time to make Montana feel like their old home. AKA...Bozeman is often referred to with a smile or smirk as BozAngeles. Great town that has seen significant change over the last 15 years. Missoula and Kalispell have seen the same to differing degrees. Eastern MT, where I live, not so much as it's not the postcard Montana that many see when they visit...and we're good with that! I hear North Dakota is nice;););).
Unfortunately, true about Bozeman. 1980 population was 21,645. It was referred to as a 'cowtown'. There was an 8-mile true separation between Bozeman and Belgrade. Lived up Bridger Canyon for a time--across from "The Cold Smoke", some of the best skiing around. Bozeman began to change in the 90s. Now the population is just under 40,000 and she continues to grow. Heartbreaking. :( We now only go to Bozeman when it's absolutely necessary.

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Still when you say close to 40,000 it sounds kind of REALLY! I mean that still is small if you look at the big picture.

The cold does not phase me one bit, I'm from western Michigan and I know what winter is all about.

I like my little piece of heaven in Big Sky right on the river and that's where I will be soon.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Around heah, you're not "from Maine" unless you can document native status going back seven generations.
Well sah, if I had a cat that had kittens in the oven, I wouldn't call 'em biscuits!

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Free to live anywhere you choose, it's a great country we live in.

To be honest I don't give a rats butt what the locals think of me anyway.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
It's funny how no matter where live or when you got there, it was the last best place. But then it started going all to heck when the next guy after you got there. Seems to happen everywhere. :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am a Bozone native and for many years was planning to move back when I retired. But things change and I kept my home in SE Idaho and bought a retirement home down on the Gulf. Once I quit skiing there was simply no reason to live in MT. I can go fish there anytime summer and fall and the rest of the year I have no desire to be in the cold country.

Its just too bad the flyfishing down on the Gulf sucks. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts