Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a break from math for a few days and decided to tie up a few more. the maxwell/francis black dog uses real gut, and the other two flies i used twisted fluoro so i can fish them. I went for more of a scruffy look with the maxwell/francis one and the rest of the flies i whipped up pretty carelessly with fishing in mind. all are done with only gossamer and cobblers and that turpentine head cement stuff, all done in hand. this was my first time tying on a double while in hand, its not as bad as i expected. these are my confidence patterns and im excited to use them if i ever get to go fishing again! :chuckle:

any comments/critiques welcome!

andrew

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,225 Posts
These are great Andrew !!
You did very well on the double. I rarely tie doubles because every experience that I had ends up with me getting poked :hihi:
Not expecting the "gates" to close this year ;)

Mike

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Some incredible tying here. The little double something else - my fave although I fish them all with max confidence. Wondering though: Why not the the gut loop?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some incredible tying here. The little double something else - my fave although I fish them all with max confidence. Wondering though: Why not the the gut loop?
Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

The gut one is vintage spanish gut.... Its old. 1930 ish. If you read old books they talk about the importance of having fresh gut and how in time it degrades. and thats in terms of a few years as opposed to 80 something years. I get them as knotted together leaders and after you soak them and test them they will break too easily for my liking.

Thats another thing: new or old, gut it brittle when dry. I dont want to hook a fish immediately after tying my fly on with dry gut and have it crack. Especially since its so old.

Also, a thin 12 pound fluoro leader cuts right through it, ive done a a few tests. A loop to loop connection (similar to leader to fly line) is abit stronger but still.

mono or fluoro is similar to real gut (soaked) in flexibility, diameter looks, translucency (sometimes), and it just makes sense to use it as a sub. Plus its MUCH stronger, wont crack, much more consistent in thickness. It also wont fray like dacron will. Gut leader to gut loop in the old days, mono leader to mono loop now. Gut is cool, but id only feel confident fishing it if it was fresh.

Sorry for the rant, but thats why i dont like fishing with old gut hehe

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
beautiful flies, Andrew.
thanks for posting these. I have a soft spot for the BD. I can see why these are your confidence flies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts