Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing a pattern for your Amherst crests? Tolfrey has it! Much thanks to AO, who is always a click away from materials info.

Frederic Tolfrey's no.12 and no.17

no.12 as follows:

Tag: Gold tinsel. Tail: A topping. Body: Orange and black Mohair equally. Ribs: Oval gold tinsel over orange and flat silver tinsel over black. Hackle: Red and black. Wings: Copper-colored Mallard and Bustard mixed.

no.17 recipe:

Tag: Gold tinsel and yellow silk. Tail: A topping from the Indian Black-headed Pheasant. Butt: Black herl. Body: Two turns of orange silk, the rest black silk. Ribs: Flat silver tinsel and oval gold tinsel. Hackle: Black. Throat: Green Parrot and Grouse. Wings: Gold and silver Pheasant's tail, tippets, red Macaw, green Parrot, Teal, Gallina, Mallard and Peacock wing. Cheeks: Kingfisher.

(from Tolfrey's "Jones' Guide to Norway")

Personal thoughts: While that 17 was fun to tie, I think that 12 would be a capital fly in many waters and more likely to provide a player.

Cheers,
Adrian

·
Registered
997 Posts
Chow time....

Steelhead Sammiches....

Beauties mate.
James

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
wow, Number 17 is amazing. I'm gonna add that to the list. hopefully i have some green hackle. I love that dressing.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Looking great! The 17 really grabs my attention. I love seeing parrot and macaw in a wing, that material really "pops" (it can be hard to find long enough parrot, though).

Great work, and thanks for sharing!

Aaron

PS....This post was a good reminder I need to track down some more Silver Pheasant tails, thanks!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Wow both of those are great but that #12 will be a killer. Black and red is my fav combo

·
Undertaker
1,356 Posts
nice

As always Adrian, your flies are a delight to the eyes. My only question is where is the Lady A? Not that they really need it, but your intro had me looking for it. In that regard, using Lady A crest in the No. 12 tail would be cool.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Zoinks! Those are nice. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts