Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Dom
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started fishing many strip wing flies, Dee's, and also full dressed creations. Wings split on me on every fly I fish and so it makes me think if I should keep fishing my split wing Dee that looks nothing close to delta wing anymore or I should steer clear from them and consider mixed wings, hairwings, and feather wings instead. Is there a trick or two keeping turkey wings more durable? A drop of head cement on the back side?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I coat the lower 1/3 of each wing with "Flex-Seal" cement. That keeps the wings from splitting on me and maintains the nice Delta wing shape as the Dee fly tracks across the pool tailout :)

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
It is totally natural for feathers to separate into thin slips when wet - it doesn't take anything away from the fly. I mean you could knot a piece of yarn on a hook and maybe get more hits than swinging a big dee down the run... it makes no difference in that respect.

It doesn't take anything away from what effort goes into the fly either. So - just tie-away. Make 'em as difficult and complicated or simple as you want - keep in mind they will spit. However thinner slips will hold up better.

I've used the turkey feathers that have been cemented for durability in muddlers and other types - I can tell you cement will only hold up for a few casts.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Having the wing tied in just right minimizes it (no overlap at the tie-in point), but it's going to happen. You can remarry the barbules by pulling them between your fingers the same way you would a married wing fly, but I don't think it will fish any better.

Think of the fly as a quick flash of movement and color in front of the fish. A wing coming apart doesn't interfere with that impression. As long as the overall shape holds up, I think they'll fish just fine.

·
Administrator
19,211 Posts
Continue to fish them and fish them hard and with confidence :)
The fish don't care about a split wing at all, like already mentioned, it's a quick flash of colour.
To prolong the split, use less fibers for your slips. I find slips with 5 or 6 fibers to be a perfect thickness, has more movement than thicker slips and does not split easy at all. They don't split on the swing and it takes one or two fish to finally break the marriage. Even then, as already previously mentioned, just run the slips between your fingers to re-marry them and go swing.

Mike

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
90% of wings are meant to be pinned. so there all ready aplit before the cast is made. wing splitting is no concern in any books that talk about dee. that just what fearhers do in water. dont go put cemement on the wing.............

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,307 Posts
So long that the fly is riding correctly I don't fret anything else. If it looks like a little fish or some other edible thing I just cast and fish them. I have on a few occasions Lost A Jungle Cock Eye :eek: Now this is something that can cause constipation, nervous twitching, reddening of the eyes, and in extreme instances, hair loss! If I lose an eye, I have to give serious thought to what action may need to be taken. Generally I will change to an identical fly and continue the day without suffering from hives but it bothers tha living hell out of me for sure :Eyecrazy:

The wings, I'm good with the wings and as long as your seeing them swim upright no worries.

·
Administrator
19,211 Posts
Ard, to avoid loosing an eye in the future, here's a trick:

1. Size up the pair of JC nails to the fly and strip off the unwanted barbules
2. Tie in the pair as you would using 3-4 wraps of thread
3. Fold back the nail stem and place another two wraps of thread and cut off the excess
4. Cover the butt ends of the nail stems and finish the head

This works great for me and ever since I've been doing this (about 5 years) I haven't lost an eye and have avoided all the complexities that are associated with loosing an eye on a fly ;)

Mike

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,165 Posts
If one of my flies loses an eye, I put an eyepatch on, and fish it the other direction.

When I get home, I tie another on if it's a fav. If not, one-eyed it gets fished! I'll bet anyone that a fish with a desire to strike isn't going to give a damn whether its got one eye or two!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I coat the lower 1/3 of each wing with "Flex-Seal" cement. That keeps the wings from splitting on me and maintains the nice Delta wing shape as the Dee fly tracks across the pool tailout :)
Sorry but im with kevin you definitely dont want to put cement on your wings. Ever.

Let em split. If you tied the in properly they will remarry after they dry with a little preening.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Sorry but im with kevin you definitely dont want to put cement on your wings. Ever.

Let em split. If you tied the in properly they will remarry after they dry with a little preening.
agreed. one of my favorite things about fishing this type of wing (usually my go to style of fly) is the movement of the wings, IMO putting glue on them they would just look like a couple of sticks!

To each his own though, just my opinion

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
agreed. one of my favorite things about fishing this type of wing (usually my go to style of fly) is the movement of the wings, IMO putting glue on them they would just look like a couple of sticks!

To each his own though, just my opinion
I only use cement on my Dee wing flies and the type of cement I use is very flexible. (Flex-Seal) I only coat the "shoulders" of the Dee wing close to the fly for no more than 1/4 to 1/3 the total wing length. The wings still have a lot of movement and flexing and produce results like this:

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,165 Posts
I'm gonna take a tentative step here (please don't be offended), but I'll bet you'd have caught that beauty without cemented wings too. You obviously put the bug in the right place at the right time. Good show!

Obviously, there's no way to prove it (cement vs none), but as a skilled fish stalker, you know what you're doing.

I'm sure there are a few fish that may tail a fly and watch it for a bit before striking, just as there are some that will strike immediately upon seeing the intruding bug. The former may be a bit more discerning and selective, but you as the hunter have no way of knowing that. It really is the movement, the timing, the speed, and the bug in the right strata of water that makes the difference - much more than if the wings are held together or not.

again, just my 2¢ worth.

That is a really pretty fish!

·
Registered
126 Posts
If one of my flies loses an eye, I put an eyepatch on, and fish it the other direction.

When I get home, I tie another on if it's a fav. If not, one-eyed it gets fished! I'll bet anyone that a fish with a desire to strike isn't going to give a damn whether its got one eye or two!

Awesome! Reminds me of a party I went to once where you had to show up with an eyepatch and a cigar...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts