Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dom
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Found a nice gut loop sub ^^^ Fireline 20lb crystal.

I wonder how do you guys choose your tinsel size when tying a fly? Do you use one size for tags other for bodies and ribbing? Do you determine its size by the size of the hook to be tied on? I just want to have a nice routine set so that I eliminate variation on my ties.

Recently I received a bunch of Uni-french oval tinsel and with Lagurtun being out of business it is a very nice replacement.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
What you've done here looks fine to me.

To answer the question - I use small or fine oval for tips, small flat under tags and medium flat under floss bodies with the exception for black floss. Beyond that - it's dependent on hook size and the type of fly. To eliminate wasting tinsels when I'm not sure what will look best I will dress the body securing the dubbing or floss in a way that it can be undone. I'll run the tinsel forward and see if it looks good. If not it can still be unwound and swapped out. This works for me but I rarely tie two in the same way - Other than neatness and to use the least amount of materials, i don't have a set standard and remain very fluid.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Your flies look great. Nice work.

As for tinsel sizes, I use visual balance as my driving factor. I like a fly to start off fine at the rear, and work it's way up to some bulk at the front. The gradual taper is usually what I am looking for, but this is not to say that it's right, or I don't like the look of anything else. It's just what appeals to me. So to that note I typically use the finest oval for the tip of my flies. As far as body ribbing, I try to strike a balance there as well, and usually I want my ribbing to really stand out on my fly. Again, personal preference.

If you have the time, search fly patterns tied by 24-7. Dave Gotzmer (sp? sorry Dave) has one of the keenest eyes that I've seen. His observation on material placement, balance, and how these affect the fly in the water are second to none. His flies are pretty damn sweet as well ;)

Hope that sheds some light on the subject.

Scott.

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Great question. Tinsel work will make or break the overall balance/appearance of a fly. Using the wrong size of tinsel may not affect fish-ability but it will impact the feel and soul of the fly. A common mistake I see is the use of medium oval tinsel for tips and tags. It is all but impossible to get a nice transition from tip to floss tag with oversized tinsel. The tip usually ends up looking like a knob at the butt end of the fly. For oval tips and tags for all hook sizes, I use fine and small tinsel. As for ribbing a body, there is no set rule, but there is a standard. The old school standard is five open turns of tinsel. This will vary depending on the style, but for the most part it is the rule I use on all of the flies I tie. Hook size is the determining factor is size selection. For body work I used medium flat and oval for size 3 and smaller, large flat and oval for size 1.5 and above. Again just a standard and not a set rule. As for the Akroyd I use the same 5 open turns, but split the body in two sections, both receiving 5 turns of tinsel. The size of tinsel again depends on the size of the two sections. For fishing flies I like a ribbing of flat pearl Mylar with silver oval. I prefer metallic tinsels but will sneak the Mylar in here and there. The key to tinsel is, does it look right, if so you have used the right tinsel.

and

Nice work on the both flies. The ribbing is a little light for my eye, but then it is your hook and your rules.

·
Registered
879 Posts
As stated above, I use fine and small for tips and tags. Body tinsel size is based on body length mainly. I just wrap a little scrap around the body before tying it to eyeball it. No absolutes...just whatever seems to look appropriate.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I use fine or extra fine round (not wire) for tips and most tinsel tags. If a fly calls for, or looks better with flat as a tag, I use small for it in a single layer. Yes, you have to have a good, flat thread base to do so without gaps. The only place I use gold, copper, or silver mylar is for an underbody under floss to keep it from darkening up when wet because mylar has a little stretch making it easier to make the underbody with a rotary vise. Ribbing, as others have said, it entirely dependent on hook size, shank length, and type of fly. However, if the fly calls for lace, or I wish to use lace instead of medium flat with oval, I make it from 3 strands of fine or small oval depending on the size of the fly twisted together after they are tied in.

A rough estimate is to use a size tinsel that allows you to have about 2x more body material showing than the tinsel is wide. Remember this is a rough estimate.

·
Dom
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am aware that tips calls for round as written in some best Atlantic salmon tying articles. It is hard to source compared to oval. Im kinda set on using xs uni french oval for tips and small for the full tag. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on this topic. Its amazing how much detail and discipline some of you guys have!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts