Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Poochie puppie," even at 13 and change was a member of the family. I swear to God, she knew when it was Saturday or Sunday morning. I'd put on a pair of blue jeans and she knew this ment WE were going fishing.

She'd actually jump up and down (bounce?) on her front paws to let me know US/WE were going to the river. A few places/times I couldn't take her with me. the look in her eyes was just short of devistating. You'd tell her why, and she seemed to understand that the rock wall was something she couldn't handle (at her age); no problem, carry me up and down. Over the concrete wall; so??

Like kids, if you really want a pooch, it's a long term commitment. Either you have the love to make it real, or you don't.

Sorry guys/gals but I'm into my cups again tonight. Sheb's has been laid to rest in an area I'll be building a small vineyard. The roses will be planted to mark her place for the next upteen years, will go in tomorrow. She had a great time when we had our 28+ acres, of vines, Phes' out the gazonga (no hunting, so the birds were safe). I'd be running the tractor and she'd be zipping along side.

She could 'smell' the birds, but they couldn't hear her with the engine beat ... HARD LEFT/RIGHT.. even came up with a few tail feathers on a few occations. Soooo close, but no ceeeegar.. but the feathers went into a few flys. I'd laugh, she's look at me like I was a village idiot ... what the heck, she was too close to the truth of the matter.

Was cool when she'd find a nest between some vines (very often in the Spring) and we'd mark/'fence off' the places to assure the eggs would be safe (and I wouldn't do some thing dumb with a tractor/spay/mowing rig). Birds would actually do a 'broken wing, poor baby -- chase me!! thing to divert you from their nest to protect their eggs. Wonderful to watch; better yet to acknowledge nature.

Even Sake the cat knows something is not right here. Looking for extra love in all the right places. Life, and death, is part of "life" but dear God it's hard to loose, even if you know you can't win.

Tomorrow will come, but it won't be the same. Lots of Joan pics on my PC that roll, doggie this, doggie that...

Male thing, but time to suck up and grow up? Don't think so, a large part of my adult life has gone.

Those of you who have a 'life mate' will fully understand. Life can be, at time, really ****ty, but "unconditional love" is what pulls you through.
fae

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Fred,

Been away and am only now hearing about your loss. I sympathize having lost an awesome dog myself recently, like you put it, unconditional love. Many of the family's memories were intertwined with Cody's time with us, particularly as the kids were growing up. He would protect them with his life without a second thought if the need arose, and he relished every moment of play no matter how annoying the kids would become. It seemed he had a tennis ball in his mouth from the day he could fit it to the day he fell ill.

Don't worry about sucking it up... if anyone thinks a pet is not a tough thing to lose, they probably haven't had pets like ours. I've no doubt that your memories will always honor her and she had a wonderful life with you and your family. Some dogs do go to heaven!

Juro

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"J"..

Huge Hugs to you.

You, like a lot of others, 'have been there, done that.'

Looking forward to seeing you next.

Love and hugs to you all.
jee/fae

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Fred,

Sorry to hear of you loss. My younger son and his wife had to have their "first dog" put to sleep this week. It always hurts, no matter how long they have been with you. Seems like dogs have a way of getting very close in a very short time. Must be the unconditional love thing.

Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts