Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, here's the thing.

Bought B&W 14 #9 norway, great :)

Shop sent variety of lines to sample, :) :) :)

:whoa: Lines don't fit my 9/10 LA vortex :confused: :mad:

Anyway, to the point.

I did get 50 yards of gel on with the windcutter, and placed the reel on the rod just to get a feel after reading simon's book "Spey Casting". I expected the fairly heavy B&W to need at least the weight of the vortex to balance, but hey, reel was wa--a---a--y too heavy.

Screw this, i'll spool up the line on my old beat up tioga 12. Fits easy, with loads of backing and low and behold, balances the rod spot on.

I was panicking for days looking for that ultimate LA reel, and yes they may not put coils in the line. But, they are so damned expensive, hardly any are saltproof, and loads of em dont hold any backing.

Seems like i'm gonna go down the standard arbor route, at least for now.

Worked for all those salmon guys for centuries.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just a thought !

I use a number of B&W rods of different lenghts, and a variety of different lines, Airflo, Rio, XLT`s etc.
Despite having a selection of reels I always seem to revert back to my SA System 2`s.
For the shorter rods and lighter lines, I use the 1011, and for the bigger stuff I use the 1213.
No problems with capacity, nice balance, never had a reliability problem, and they`re cheap to boot. To me they`re just a great workhorse of a reel.
Of the large arbour variety, I have found the new Snowbee XS a cracker, but I`ve just had them for a month or so, but well pleased to date.
Peter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts