Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Vision Beulah Snowbee Stonofo Root River Veniard Hareline
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I think I will call it that a NAF

Well while practicing for the Gardner Exchange I tried my first Dee, after some posts from other members of their flies I quickly seen the style Dee Flies need to emulate, I will be starting over, waiting for some BEP from some site friends.

However I do not like to waste time so I modified the base of my Gardner and came up with this..

Do you think this will Hunt???

· The Dude abides
2,099 Posts
yes, id fish it! As far as dees go, you have the body right, but dees are usually long and thin. If you have longer hooks, use those. if not, just try and keep things thin and sparse as you build a dee. you want it to sink like a rock so that thin profile is for a reason.

· Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
First, yes, this fly will hunt.

Second in answer to your question about whether dee flies can be weighted, the answer is no because weighting them prevents having the very slim body that is a characteristic of dee flies. Dee flies when tied on proper long-shank dee hooks (yes that is what they are called) such as the Alec Jackson #1.5 Blind-eye hook, the large #1 Blue Heron hook, any of the 7xl-10xl Rangely Streamer hooks in #4 to #2/0, or even a limerick bend 6xl or 1/2" longer shank #1 or #2 hook will sink like a rock when tied with the slim floss or dubbed body without the use of weight.

· Undertaker
1,570 Posts
Like your fly...

But I like your sarcasm even more. I recall that one of our contributors took umbrage over the identification of a pattern-less fly as "freestyle". So, what are we to call flies we dreamt up? I note that I have seen a broad array of patterns termed "GBS" without drawing much fire from the orthodoxy. I need a break so I'm going to my vise to tie a nice NAF and see if the fish demand pattern purity or - not.:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.