Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I only have 2 hands
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought of all the Speypages friends,when this Jellystone Brown started leaping on the end of the line,and what I have learned here in such a short time. Thank you and my apologies in advance for the gratuitous fish smut images...biggest one of the year so far.:saevilw:

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice job, I pulled out a fat buck down by Big Timber that was just shy of 25" several days back. No pictures.
A lot of big fish have come out of the river since the cool down.

The Yellowstone is just great water for the two-hander. It's what I spend most of my time doing on it these days. Being able to access that mid river water effectively is really producing some consistently big browns for me.

I pulled a 26 1/2 inch brown out of the town stretch back in March. My best Yellowstone fish to date.
This guy;

·
I only have 2 hands
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my secrets for that one........

Mike I was throwing the Rio Scandi versitip 7 wt. with the floating tip on classic style long mono leader 1.5x rod length. I ran with a powerflex floating shooting line rather than my usual mono with scandi. Its a choppy fast moving side channel area excess distance wasn't needed.Full floating set up with a Sheila sculpin #4 she darts around like a jig n pig but isn't too heavy at all. 14' Rooster Euro 5/6 rod with that crazy handle.Way too heavy for most trout almost not enough for this one. Then again you may be asking Blackbugger what he was throwin.:chuckle:

·
AJS Reels
404 Posts
One from New Zealand

Nice fish guys, anything over 22" deserves recognition as browns aren't easy to fool at that size. Great catches! I got this sea runner on a swung soft hackle.
Thought it might have been a lost Chinook but photo's confirmed it as a brown.
It measured approx. 25" and about 8lb.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice, I SO want to fish New Zealand someday.
Unfortunately(or maybe fortunately) you guys are pretty much on the opposite side of the planet.
We have to work VERY hard to find the kind of fish (based on what I've seen and am told) that you guys can more or less expect.

I'm usually fishing a 6126 with a 480 grain Skagit Compact and ten feet of either T-17 or T-14. I'm usually imparting some kind of motion from a really slow strip of just a few inches to ripping it pretty fast depending on water conditions and temps/time of year.

I rarely just swing but I do if it seems appropriate based on conditions, time of year and all that.

·
AJS Reels
404 Posts
Trout Spey

AJS that is a real cracker!:surprise: Some day I hope to wet a line in New Zealand.....trout heaven.
We are very fortunate in this country with such a diverse fishery and pristine
environment, but alas intensive agricultural practices have impacted on our lowland waterways. There is some good work being undertaken by farmers so all credit to them for realising their impact. Our regional fisheries managers also do a fantastic job wading through Government legislation effecting our lakes and rivers.
Yes, our rivers are full of trout and access is easy, but don't expect double digit fish in every pool, I've yet to catch one! Missed out on the mouse feed browns in the South Island this year where some anglers were counting their trophy fish on two hands (Just Jealous!), but you had to be in the know where to search for them, a guide is a must if your time is limited.
Thanks for your comments guys, it's so great to share success, techniques and
views from the other side of the globe.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nice fish guys, anything over 22" deserves recognition as browns aren't easy to fool at that size. Great catches! I got this sea runner on a swung soft hackle.
Thought it might have been a lost Chinook but photo's confirmed it as a brown.
It measured approx. 25" and about 8lb.
Simply gorgeous!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nice job, I pulled out a fat buck down by Big Timber that was just shy of 25" several days back. No pictures.
A lot of big fish have come out of the river since the cool down.

The Yellowstone is just great water for the two-hander. It's what I spend most of my time doing on it these days. Being able to access that mid river water effectively is really producing some consistently big browns for me.

I pulled a 26 1/2 inch brown out of the town stretch back in March. My best Yellowstone fish to date.
Ok, seeing this has just reemphasized that I need to get my sh*t together and start fishing spey around here. I was out practice casting at mayor's tonight but was not going to tie a fly on the old 15er. Thanks for sharing guys, you helped me tap a resource that I didn't have before. I have a 6126 winston that is begging to be fished. A bit heavy for most fish around here but probably just right for what you guys are sharing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm usually fishing a 6126 with a 480 grain Skagit Compact and ten feet of either T-17 or T-14. I'm usually imparting some kind of motion from a really slow strip of just a few inches to ripping it pretty fast depending on water conditions and temps/time of year.

I rarely just swing but I do if it seems appropriate based on conditions, time of year and all that.
BB,
What time of day do you like to fish. Would think those bigger fish move out from the banks at daylight and back at sundown.

Was fishing middle of the day, single hander w/ a sculpin pattern on the maddy last sunday and decided to start swinging it though a few runs. I got absolutely nailed by a bigger rainbow at the fastest section up top about mid swing. I don't see how in the heck he could have been in that fast of water during most conditions, but the water temps have and were warm that day.

·
Registered
163 Posts
BB,
What time of day do you like to fish. Would think those bigger fish move out from the banks at daylight and back at sundown.

Was fishing middle of the day, single hander w/ a sculpin pattern on the maddy last sunday and decided to start swinging it though a few runs. I got absolutely nailed by a bigger rainbow at the fastest section up top about mid swing. I don't see how in the heck he could have been in that fast of water during most conditions, but the water temps have and were warm that day.
Lately with the cool down the fishing has been decent most of the day.

What I've been discovering with the whole spey rod thing is that the big browns on the Yellowstone can be in much faster water than I expect them to be in but usually that's associated with mid-stream structure.

I'll do a little hot spotting here to make a point;
You know all that bed rock, whitewaterish stuff that's about 300 yards below the big irrigation diversion in the Springdale to Grey Bear stretch?
It goes on for a few hundred yards and at the top there is an island.
They are out in that stuff in WAY faster water than I would have expected.

I've been pulling fish out of that mid river stuff for years now and I'm always amazed at how high up (really fast water) in it I find them and were talking really nice browns.
This is why I'm throwing t-17 so often and as heavily weighted a fly as I can get away with casting.

That water is kind of an extreme example but these days I'm usually looking for mid-river bedrock formations as much if not more so than typical inside bend long sweeping runs and that stuff is where I'm finding a lot of my bigger fish.
I'm still fishing classic looking stuff but the great thing about the spey rod is you can really work that middle of the river water with a heavy sink tip.
Even if you were out in it in a boat you'd be through it in minutes where if you can reach it with the two-hander from shore you can really work it though it still requires some thinking. I often walk along with the cast for several paces just to give the fly more time to drop and then walk back up and repeat.

Heading out to the river right now with the girlfriend..

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I note you are in SW Montana.

Ok, seeing this has just reemphasized that I need to get my sh*t together and start fishing spey around here. I was out practice casting at mayor's tonight but was not going to tie a fly on the old 15er. Thanks for sharing guys, you helped me tap a resource that I didn't have before. I have a 6126 winston that is begging to be fished. A bit heavy for most fish around here but probably just right for what you guys are sharing.
Have a 2/3 (12'6") custom build done by Steve Godshall (most known for his custom fly lines) and a total treat! Small flies (a 10 is as big as you want to go) and Game On!>:)

Note we have a fellow here from Taranaki NZ; this rod would be 'killer' on the majority of the South Island streams.

Fred

1 - 18 of 18 Posts