Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So nice to know these will be swinging on the River Spey in just a weeks time.
Sent them to a friend in the Aberdeenshire, Scotland. :whoa::whoa::whoa:

The two on left are classic speys
Two on the right are the greasy flies you've seen here before

As always, thin bodies and high wings. Do it to it:smokin:

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice work! Be sure to post up a picture if they land a fish for your friend. I hope there is a little more water in the river than there was earlier this year. Heard they've been having a tough go of it this year.

·
Administrator
18,138 Posts
Very cool !!
There is a sense of pride knowing that your flies have been swung in the fabled waters of the River Spey .
I have sent flies abroad and had my flies swung in the waters of the Spey . I got all geeky about that :hihi:
It could be that I'm just a romantic at heart :p

Mike

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and to think this Scottish American friendship came from a post regarding a source of Red Coque hackles I found here in southern california. In fact I have them sorting at the source (india) 500 pieces as we speak. I bought all they had somewhere around 200 pieces, not all are totally usable at the large size but if you were tying #3`s youd be a kid in a candy store. i found some gems as well, some dark natural reds with black and white spots.... :smokin:
Apparently my new friend has been searching far and wide in the old country for hackles like the old ones hes seen in the fly museums hes visited over the years. I know i wont be searching through bags or half bronze for the sold red on any more...

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
I love the old style you tied these speys in.
Very cool.

James

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the old style you tied these speys in.
Very cool.

James
I thank you very much, I do see alot of other really really good spey flies out there tied in other way, I just cant bring myself to tie them any other way, it seems even if I try even my damn salt water surf flies start looking like these, hahaha i have it bad...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts