Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, great site/forum. Im new to the DH game and was wonding what the above rod is like, probably for use with scando heads on small to med Welsh rivers. I havent cast it myself yet.

Cheers, Lee.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
special TnT 1208

Trey Coombs once told me it was his favorite small Two Hander....it is actually a delightful rod that would be excellent for your needs...Light in hand,wonderfully sensitive and very powerful...I have landed many Steelhead to 20 Lbs on it and quite a few Chinook Salmon to 35 Lbs. on it as well. 5 years ago we did a project off the West Coast of Vancouver Island targeting feeding Chinook and Coho around the Kelp beds...this rod proved to be outstanding during the quick casts of super heavy lines and during the following battles.
Good Luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers WCS, I take it that it has a fastish taper then? It would be good if i could use it for the salt too. Would you say it is a true 8 or would you say it can handle a heavier line.

Thanks for the help, Lee.

·
Registered
869 Posts
definitly a fast rod but not too much so. it works well with the delta 8/9 for typical spey work or a SH of about 550 gr. overhead it will throw a ton of line and i'm no great overhead caster. i have used it overhead for sm bass here and with a SH of about 35-40 ft one backcast and a throw of 100' was fairly easy even with a sloping bank behind. spey cast underhand with a SH and it's one of my fav's of anything i have cast. i routinly use this rod on huge water with 15' of t-14 on a cut back delta and it does it well, although i'm only casting around 50' it could easily handle much more with this setup. definitly an 8wt. the four piece version is just noticebly slower in action and if you planned on spey casting exclusivly it is worth a look at also.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts

Cheers WCS, I take it that it has a fastish taper then? It would be good if i could use it for the salt too. Would you say it is a true 8 or would you say it can handle a heavier line.

Thanks for the help, Lee.
a true *...great for teh Salt water...the tnt 1212 is used a lot off Cape Cod for Stripers...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks both, If i get one i will let you know what i think. For some reason the DH section of the TNT website isnt working.

Cheers, Lee.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ended up going for the TNT 13' 9wt 4pc. Spent yesterday afternoon casting a 13' 9/8 LPXe, a Zaxis 13' 8wt and the above. Liked the LPXe, didn't get on with the Sage, loved the TNT. I took advise from a friend/casting instructor/line designer who said that 13' would be better for my rivers. I was using a scando head and a 60 something feet head full line.
I haven't had so much fun for ages as i had yesterday, and cant wait to get out on the weekend to do some casting.

Has anyone got any thoughts on the 13' 9wt TNT?

Thanks for the help

Lee.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts