Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the Redington Redfly 12'6" 7/8 for fishing smaller to medium Lake Michigan tributaries. I'm not sure whether to get a windcutter floater or tips. Could this rod even handle casting the sink tips? Would I be better off using this rod with a floating line and sinking polyleaders? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Peter...

I was thinking windcutter because I wanted to cast and swing without shooting. With a 54' head, I could fish out to about 65' and not have to shoot line. Does that make sense or am I on the wrong track? Basically I want to fish with the traditional method of cast and swing, but on a little smaller scale. Thanks.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Trout Madness...

With a 54' head, I could fish out to about 65' and not have to shoot line.
I'm not knocking the WC but you can also fish out to about 65' and not strip with a MidSpey or Long Delta, or several other longer lines for that matter.

I feel if the rod will cast a 7/8 floater then it will cast the same line with a sinktip if the sinktip weighs the same as the floating tip. A tips line can do more but the extra cost may not be worth it if you don't use all the different tips a lot.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree about the wc. i fish the mentioned creek in ny all the time and most of the other med to large creeks in that area with the wc on a 13' 7wt t&t. the 6/7/8 with a 7 ft 5.6 ips leader will load up at about 35 feet and will shoot out to 65 no problem. i find this to be very versatile casting range for these creeks. the scan head works well too but you need to strip back to the junction every time and then shoot the longer casts. we all know it's a matter of personal preference. now when i go to the Grand River in southern ontario the wc shoots out to 75-80 nicely, but again you need to strip back to the head and it wastes a little time. the mid spey would be better at consistantly 65' plus.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Redinton 7/8

I cast this rod last summer with a 789 WC and it casts well with this line. I tried the type 6 tip with it without any problem.

Skilly

·
Registered
562 Posts
Except for a few runs scattered throughout the region the WC is probably the best all around line for great lakes fishing if you are going to limit yoursel to one set up. The Midspey is overkill if you are consistently fishing in the 65 to 70 feet range. You have to remember that the belly on a WC is around 55 feet. Add to that a leader (10 -12 feet with floating head and ~ 4 feet with sinking), and the length of the rod (13 feet in the case of the T+T) and you are fishing 72 to 76 feet out without stripping any line. There are very few runs on the great lakes where that doesn't cover the majority of the fish. Furthermore, with a sink tip on the beginning caster will need to strip some of this in just to manage it. I do agree with Peter that if you are in an area where you are consistently fishing 50 ' or less go to a Scand head, it will load the rod perfectly at the range you are fishing.

Gillie

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Rio has new product so call Skagit Cheater. By removing tip 2, you can add 5' or 10' section, reducing the line length to 44.5 or 50'.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
what I have done for small streams

I am fishing the T+T 1208, and using a 12wt, orvis sink tip for a one hander, I made a mark on it at 43ft, the sink tip is 15ft long, and puts most of the body well away from the tip. I have no clue what it weighs, I tried an 11wt and it seemed a bit light to me, so I went to the 12wt. There were a ton of them on eBay for a while for like $10.00 to $15.00 a peice, so I figured I could buy a couple and mess around a bit. I see they have them for like $39.00 on the Orvis web site closeout section. Bummer is that it I am stuck with a type III head, unless I bother to find a type V and splice. Although with a little mending and manipulation I can cover the various depths on the smaller waters I fish. Took me a bit to get used to fishing that short of a line, but once I got dialed in I was shooting a good 40 ft of line and putting flies in trees all over the far bank :) .

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
yeah

Yeah, I have thought about it, it would also put me at 48ft which is a bit better in my book, just haven't found the need for it yet.

You were at the clave on the Muskegon last spring, right? My buddy was the one with the 14ft9wt SAS that was looking for the line. I believe it was you who gave me the nickname "grasscast" for the day? I have been meaning to mention it for a bit, but it kept slipping my mind

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wind Cutter w/ tips works just fine.

TM

I have that same rod in a 13' 8/9 and a Wind Cutter w/ tips works just fine on smallish streams (read that as 50 foot cast). An SA Salmon/SH 10 wt line cut for tips also works fine for that rod. Im thinking of trying a skagit type head system also.

Natrix

1 - 10 of 10 Posts