Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Perfecting the bad cast
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried several methods of splicing T-14 sinking line to larger level floating 11 and 12 weight lines and I'm not happy with any. But for the mono core in the T-14 I would just use a standard blind splice. Does anyone have a method they are really happy with?

·
Registered
640 Posts
splicing fat line to T-14

Here's what I did:
1) Strip 1/2 inch of the floater, exposing the core.
2) Using a razor blade, and starting at the end of the floater coating where the core is exposed, cut a slice out of the coating about 1/2 inch long, beveled from deep to shallow. By that, I mean that you start with the razor blade almost at the line core, and slice so the blade cuts its way out of the line 1/2 inch up the line.
3) Overlap the T-14 over both the stripped core and part way over the beveled cut in the coating, then whip with thread. Lapping the T-14 over the coated line reduces hinging. Beveling the coated line reduces the bulge.
4) Over this I slide 50# Gudebrod braid (so it overlaps about 2" past the whipped line connection) and whip it at both ends (on the coated floater and on the T-14). Coat all whips. Although the braid may be overkill, it smoothes the transition. If you want to stiffen it, use Loon Soft Head on the braid.

This may not be the prettiest and slimmest splice, but when I'm casting T-14 on my WC 11/12/13, it doesn't hinge, moves through the guides well, and is tough.

Good luck!
Carl

1 - 3 of 3 Posts