Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have friends that tip every time, others that never do. In general, what's the etiquette?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hmmm....been running boats for the better part of thirty years and not only have I never tipped , I've never thought of it .

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Ditto, never heard of it with one exception.

Where a shuttle can take hours, like on sections of the Deschutes River. Just a 'drive back and forth,' see no point.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, that was sort of my feeling too. Price of a shuttle adds up pretty quickly if you float a lot as it is.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,130 Posts
Ditto what Fred said. The only river I tipped on was the Deschutes, and that's just cuz the driver had a hard time finding our truck keys, and actually made the trip earlier than scheduled as we'd gotten off the river early.

That last few miles is not for the boating fishermen, and is left only to the bankies, so we got off early.

Otherwise, no tip.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yet we are expected to tip the guide on this float that necessitated the shuttle in the first place . . .

Where does it end?

And some have said, but the guide works his backside off trying to put us on the fish and to have a successful and enjoyable fishing experience. And he's trying to put food on the table for his family.

No doubt.

And the shuttle driver endeavors to have our vehicle at the take out boat ramp, further enhancing the enjoyment of our fishing experience. Not to mention that the shuttle driver needed his or her ride along to drive his or her vehicle while he/she was shuttling yours.

Turn the coin over, and see the other side. I'm in the camp of those who have never thought of this before.

Sg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Over the years I've had shuttle drivers really go above and beyond the call of duty. For instance, last winter I had the river I was on freeze bank to bank on the first night of a five day trip. After hiking out and hitch hiking into the town where the shuttle driver lives, she just smiled and gave me a ride to the takeout where she had already moved my truck. Easily an hour out of her day. She wouldn't take an extra dime from me. So yeah, I leave an extra ten bucks for her now...every time. Good shuttle drivers in my part of the world are worth their weight in gold.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Salmo, good point about ride along, it's really two people doing the job and you would assume they're splitting the money. I guess that's kind of what I'm wondering here--is the cost of doing business and the extra that makes it worth the driver's while built into the shuttle fee? In other words, are they counting on the tip when they set the fee, as a guide would?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Old man's view point.

Over the years I've had shuttle drivers really go above and beyond the call of duty. For instance, last winter I had the river I was on freeze bank to bank on the first night of a five day trip. After hiking out and hitch hiking into the town where the shuttle driver lives, she just smiled and gave me a ride to the takeout where she had already moved my truck. Easily an hour out of her day. She wouldn't take an extra dime from me. So yeah, I leave an extra ten bucks for her now...every time. Good shuttle drivers in my part of the world are worth their weight in gold.
There you have had a 'service' above and beyond the call of duty. As for Salmo's post .... my Jeep (normally) was left at the take out so the shuttle was for the Guide ... assuming he wanted to get his truck/trailer back. That we can assume?

Any/all business have built in costs and you adjust your 'price' to cover same. A shuttle service would be one. For context, health reasons, its been at least a year since I used a Guide and did leave him a reasonable tip. But, got to be honest here, a large tip because he 'Worked his a$$ off for us,' in my view is some what expected. Hook fish or not; that is a factor of limited control on his part.

Honestly don't know the cost of a days float for two at this point, but the Guide will make a damned day's wages. Because he doesn't have a client for the next two or so days is not my issue to deal with. Yes, yes he/she has 'big bucks' tied up in to boat, trailer, truck, etc., but that's a cost of doing business if he wants to be a Guide.

Remember 'The Good Old Days' when the float included a good beach lunch. Hamburgers/trimmings was the usual, big bowl of home made meat stew and chunks of French bread was the other. Damn we looked forward to those! Munch, heads together, finger tip on a river map and plan out the rest of the float.

"OK, here's the plan.":smokin: For Burger's all you need is a small Hibachi BBQ, a small bag of self starter charcoal chips and probably less than 5 bucks worth of 'food.' You will get 'High Fives' and rave reviews. Those 'reviews' will sell a hell of a lot of trips when the other Guides are sitting home watching TV. Do you like watching day time TV?

Did the Guide(s) get a 'good tip;' you can bet your sweet butt they did. Now bring your own lunch, or a couple of Snickers Candy Bars? Here's my unsolicited advice to new Guides: "Hot Lunch included."

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ignore that thumbs down icon, not sure how I did it, down know how to edit it out....

·
Administrator
2,452 Posts
I don't tip a shuttle unless something justified it and that's happened once in the last 20 years. I tipped the gal who shuttled my rig last December after my dumb a$$ let my boat float away and I went for a swim in the Bighorn. She didn't hesitate to get my rig to me several hours early, so it was an unscheduled run for her. I think I handed her a $20 tip.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Had to laugh.

I don't tip a shuttle unless something justified it and that's happened once in the last 20 years. I tipped the gal who shuttled my rig last December after my dumb a$$ let my boat float away and I went for a swim in the Bighorn. She didn't hesitate to get my rig to me several hours early, so it was an unscheduled run for her. I think I handed her a $20 tip.

Didn't do a proper tie down and did that swim. A new 'lesson learned,' really 'bright people' can do some really stupid things.

So I'm told.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts