Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

I am wondering if any of you have any input as to where to start your tip and tag on #1 Dave McNeese, Blue Heron Spey Hook? I am just starting to tie up some steelhead flies on these larger irons and I started my tip just slightly back from the hook point. My tips, tags and butts look balanced this way, along with my GP crest tails; however, I do know that different hooks have different geometries and therefore require you to shift your tip, and subsequent tag and butt locations. Any advice is greatly appreciated as well as pictures maybe showing how the shift in the location either balances or unbalances the design of your flee. Thanks again.

Jerry

·
Registered
895 Posts
There are a lot better tiers here that can help you with this, rather than myself, and I'm sure they'll chime in.

As far as the McNeese, it's pretty close to an AJ, and I always start at about the same spot with those. You can creep just a bit back or forward of the point with nice results, but not too far back- looses a little something, at least in my eye.

Still playing with other hooks, so I'm eager to see what our guys show us!

-Bill

·
Administrator
19,096 Posts
It all depends on your style :)
You can start with lining up the tip with the barb and the butt at the hook point then go from there.
If you like a slightly reduced look, more sleek, you can start the tip at the hook point.

Mike

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think depends on the pattern, if like a spey i want my body starting around the point. Then with others i seen to like having my butt around about the point, or yes body starting at point, so tail and tag is past. Then it might just be personal preference too like a low water you are going to start a load earlier. Like Bill said maybe someone else can chime in but here is a group pic i spammed a bit, but most of those hooks are Blue Heron size 1 & 3.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I was just about to say look at the flies tied by flyfishinjam but he already made that easy! This guy makes those hooks look better than anyone I know!

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Sorry i deleted my post, I didnt read yours all the way through or missed the BH hook in the question....

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Not all steelhead flies have a tip, tag & butt; some just have a tail then onto the body.

However, where you are going to incorporate these elements, starting with the tip within the length of the barb to the point of the hook seems to give these flies the most balanced look in the finished article. The tag & butt added in front of the tip should leave the butt at or just forward of the hook point in most cases.

The above doesn't apply for low-water ties, where the rearmost of all the body and wing elements finish some way in front of the hook point.

Mike

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your replies to my post everyone. This information has been super helpful to me, especially the photo posted by Flyfishin'jam, which illustrates how the difference in placement of the tip and tag can change the way a flee looks to the eye. Thanks again everyone.

Jerry

·
Registered
506 Posts
Cool thread. Ive seen flies that look good on aj hooks that start at the barb. Sometimes they look better at the point, or in between, or infront. Theres not really a "right" way to do it. It also matters in comparison to your tag length, wing length, etc. you really need an "eye" for it (which i dont have so i avoid those hooks for salmon flies, except eagle and spey flies since they hide the hook better :p). Do what you think looks good is my best advice haha.
Almost all my steelhead flies and or aj hooks, and i start them infront of the point slightly, which seems to work i think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts