Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Switch and Spey rods.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a rod for fishing heavy tips only. This will be something for winter steelies and chinook in medium to large rivers. I'm not interested in casting to the other side of the river or anything like that. Just nice 60-90 foot casts with tips and weighted flies. I think shorter rods are alittle more versatile but i can't find a short 10/11 anywhere. Any advice?

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
How short a rod do you want? Mesier has a few shorter ones that would work, especially the 13' one Aaron Reimer dubbed the "Claymore".

·
Registered
Switch and Spey rods.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
13' is perfect. I thought the claymor was a 9/10. Maybe I didn't read the description well. I've bought 2 Meiser's this year and would have no problem getting another.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hi Dave,

If you can get away.... Come on down to Aarons shop in Carnation, WA on Sat. the 13th.

Todd Scharff is going to be demonstrating Scando under hand with the 10'6" 8/9 switcher and the 13'6" like yours.

Your 10'6" will easily hit 90' plus with 500 grains of Rio IT Scando and 15' of T-14, as will the 13'6".

Can't wait to see Mike Kinney and Todd together trading technique with Skagit and Scando.

Russ.....I'll bring the next generation of the 16' ~ 6 pc for you to field test.....Hope you can make it, it'll be great to see you again.

Bring some long bellies.

Leroy and Fred had the pair of 16s on the Deschutes last week, and had some really sweet matches with a Snowbee 850 grain and a Carron JS 9/10.

The next generation of 16' is quite a bit faster in the top end as requested, and is easily in the 10/11 range.... We may yet have to slow the butt.....};^)...!!!

I'll bring the following rods:

For Mike Kinney:

13'0" MKS 6/7 4 pc Skagit Style
13'6" MKS 8/9 4 pc
14'0" MKS 9/10 5 pc.

For Todd :

12'6" 5 pc. 5/6 fast progressive
12'6" 5 pc. 6/7 fast progressive
12'6" 5 pc. 7/8 fast progressive

For Aaron and crew:

Single Malt

Meiz

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
gammarus said:
I'm trying to find a rod for fishing heavy tips only. This will be something for winter steelies and chinook in medium to large rivers. I'm not interested in casting to the other side of the river or anything like that. Just nice 60-90 foot casts with tips and weighted flies. I think shorter rods are alittle more versatile but i can't find a short 10/11 anywhere. Any advice?
They seem to have fallen off the face of the earth, but the new lamiglass 14 ft 10/11 is a sweet rod. It's not 13 ft, but it feels like 13 ft.

You should also consider the CND skagit 13'8" 9wt. I know it's not 10/11, but with a skagit line (10/11/12 windcutter cut back) it will handle any fly you can tie and any tip you care to throw. I've been throwing tips for three weeks with it for salmon and it is an AWESOME winter/salmon rod.

·
Registered
Switch and Spey rods.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Robert Meiser said:
Hi Dave,

If you can get away.... Come on down to Aarons shop in Carnation, WA on Sat. the 13th.
Where and what time? I'll try and make the trip. If not I'll try and twist Todd's arm for a demo some time. Any other suggestions for lines for the 13'6 8/9? I 'm using a 7/8/9 windcutter and it casts well, but I feel like a longer belly line would do it more justice.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Meiz-

I was planning on being there because I thought you just might have the new generation 16's with you. Besides, it is always great to see you!

I think there might even be a few grease liners flying about for you (actually, I just realized yesterday that the care package had not been mailed off to you earlier when I found them laying on the floor behind my tying table.).

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Dave,

I think you should consider the Rio Scando with tips for 7/8 on the 13'6"......And the 10'6" switcher.

It is a sweet fishing line for the rivers in your back yard in most conditions.

It has 15' of build-in intermediate sink compensator within the shooting head.

The compensator not only aides the tip descent, but adds a bit of stiffnes to the end of the shooting head that really helps turn over the tips and big flies.

The full belly Scando at 500 grains plus T-14 tips (as much as 24 ft.) will fish as well at 40' as it will at 90'.

A good thing !!!

Use the tips that come with the kit, or better yet, just make up a set of various length T-14 tips from 8 to 24 ft.........For Bulls to Kings in all water conditions.

Kings to 30# plus have not been a problem for either rod.

The 106 will do the same as the 136 with the 7/8 wt. shooting head but only up to 15' of T-14.

The 106 rod is shorter and can really lever in the bigger fish quite quickly, so in some regards a better rod for bigger fish.

When throwing Scandos, both rods will require very compact under hand deliveries and only the smallest anchor at the "D" to deliver these lines.....A finesse cast really.....But 336 grains of T-14 connected to 500 grains of shooting head will screech the drag when the line hits the reel at 90' !

......And your right Todd is really good at this delivery.

He will be at the Aarons shop in Carnation, WA on the 13th of Nov. Starts about 9 AM I think..... But I'm sure he'll go out with you in Mission if you gave him a call.

If it were me.....

I think that the only other type of line that I'd need for the 136 other then the Rio Scando with tips would be lines like the AirFlow Long Belly Delta/Rio Mid-Spey with tips ~ 8/9 wt.

Stay in those grain windows for these mid-belly length line systems.

These lines for clear water conditions swinging thick or thin on your regional rivers.

Use your 7/8/9 WC on the 106 switcher....A perfect match.

That WC is not quite enough grains for the 136.

Hope to see you...Give Todd a call.

Meiz

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Russ.....I'll bring the next generation of the 16' ~ 6 pc for you to field test.....

LeRoy Teeple, Bill Siska, Doug Duncan and I had the wonderful opportunity to really drive these two rods over on the Deschutes a week and change ago. Wonderful casting rods, and very different actions.

We also 'swapped tips' (you can do this with the top two sections) to really vary the action. I'll warn you now ... Rod 1/Tip 1 matched up with a 9-10 Carron line ... use it and you'll have your wallet in your teeth inside of 5 minutes. :whoa:

·
Registered
Switch and Spey rods.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I'll be coming down with todd. I'll definately use the lines you described. I had a feeling the 7/8/9 wc was not enough weight for the rod.

·
Registered
Switch and Spey rods.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bob, I noticed your 12/13 transformer is missing from the website. I was thinking of getting a 12/13 switch sometime in the future for sailfish. Do you still have blanks laying around for that rod? Or maybe one could be built using a single hander aince it doesn't have to be cast far.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Dave,

Been re-doing the website for all the new rods, and this rod will be moved over to the Salt Water section.

I'll carry the 13X13 and the 13 X 106 as a Transformer and as individual rods.

Re-designed the "Claymore" for fresh water.

Meiz

·
fly on little wing
1,119 Posts
Hi Bob

I just checked out your updated web site. Looks good and there is some light weight graphite that has caught my eye. I'll have to start squirreling away some acorns.

Gary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts