Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Tioga Magnum 12LA as my new spey reel (under $150!! :cool: ). (Most of you already are aware of Teton's quality drag system, and overall durablity.) As I fall deeper into the sucking vortex that is all things Spey :D , I did a lot of research on Large Arbors, lines, rods. One of these things that learned is that with some types of reels, the large arbor is a bitter sweet tool. What you gain in line retreval, (etc) you tend to loose capacity (on the econo side of this coin). In the 12LA Magnum's case the spool is 4.25" wide and @1.5" "thick". From the original capacity of 150yds. of 30# the Magnum jumps to 200yds of 30# and a spey line. In any case, the reel has the capacity to carry the backing capacity, and my Rio W/C 9/10/11. Being a beginer, I think that when I switch to a longer belly line or Scand/ Skagit line I will see the same results.

I plan on fishing this weekend (maybe on the Clearwater) and I'll update then. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

Fished the Salmon this weekend. Hooked one, lost one. In any case, the reel picked up line like any LA reel, the drag is a tested system and performed as expected. And for the record, this was the first time that I actually got to "fish" my spey set up. As if I thought I wouldn't like it...man, these spey rods are sweeeet!

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Anadromous,

Glad to hear that the reel worked as expected. I have been looking into them as well; however, I just don't know if my spey casting alter ego will let me use any other reel than a Loop. :eek: :eek:

As for the lines you are contemplating jumping into, I am a die hard scan/Loop adapted head kind of guy. Great shooting capability and just oh so easy to cast. Keep us posted on your progression into the world of spey.

Vinnie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts