Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which one of these reels would balance a 13 ft 6 spey rod. i was going to put a 8/9 sa mastery spey line on this reel as i picked up the line new for 42.00. is the teton 12 spey reel to light. any info would be appreciated. also any other reels in this price range that would work as well.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Well I for one do not believe in the whole need to balance a spey rod with a reel. You are using two hands afterall. Balance is nowhere near as important as with a single handed rod. That is just my opinion though.

Get whatever one is cheaper is that is a concern. I like (not love ) my teton 12 and it can fit the largest of spey lines. They are fine reels and will serve you well. Either one will easily fit that line.

Good luck!

-sean

J

·
0 Posts
And here's a vote for balance being more important on speyrods due to their length. In fact, a reel that is too light is way more of a problem for me on a speyrod than it ever has been with a single hander. I've fished twice with combinations where the reel was way too light and the rod tended to be a tip heavy model (a Mike Maxwell rod and a Winston db) and I was exhausted in no time. Both rods required a reel that was too heavy for correct balance in that it made the total mass of the whole rig too much. Both rods now have new owners.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
balance

I generally don't worry about it...but I generally fish fairly heavy reels, especially on longer, heavier rods. JR SPEY is right about tip-heavy rods though--they do need heavier reels. I save my lighter reels for shorter, lighter rods.

·
Registered
194 Posts
tioga 12

I have the tioga 12 on a Redington 14' 9/10 wt. rod and it balances in nicely near the top of the cork. I'm no expert, but I've had the reel about a year and it has performed excellent. The drag is as good as much more expensive reels. I will definitely get tioga reels for all my future spey rods. Good luck deciding and tight lines!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Tioga 12 would be my suggestion.

Use this, spooled with a SA 6-7 XLT and adequate backing on my Sage 71360-4 for summer run work.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
My vote is for the Tioga 12, it is a little more weight than the Teton. I have used the Teton on a 13' Loomis GLX and i did not feel that it balanced it well. The reel i use now weighs the same as the Tioga and it feels a lot nicer to hold and use all day. just my .02
tight lines,brian

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Brian, great new avitar.

Not sure if it hasn't registered, but great photo of Pooch in the bow of the boat.

Can you put up a larger version of this?
fae

1 - 8 of 8 Posts